Including and using the MySql.Data.dll on your web host server RRS feed

• Question

• User887984496 posted

I'm having problems including and linking the MySql.Data.dll on my web host server.

On my Visual Studios IDE it's not a problem.  But I'm working directly from my files on my web hosting service.

I've read that using the Web.Config file you can reference the DLL assembly by adding it as such

<configuration>

<system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    <compilation>
    <assemblies>
    <add assembly="MySql.Data, Version=6.6.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d" />
    </assemblies>
    </compilation>
    </system.web>

</configuration>

I've also tried uploading the MySq.Data.dll onto my web host root directory with my Default.aspx file but after when I go to my sites URL it gives me this error:

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'MySql.Data, Version=6.6.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Anyone know a useful link or site that discusses ways around this?

Thanks.

Monday, March 11, 2013 7:32 PM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

Hi,

Could not load file or assembly 'MySql.Data' or one of its dependencies. This assembly is built by a runtime newer than the currently loaded runtime and cannot be loaded

First you should check whether give a reference to MySql.Data.dll properly in your project. As the error messages show, you should also check whether whether you have appropriate MySql.Data.dll.

hope it helps you,

With regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:48 AM
  • User13850534 posted

You need to make sure your host server has support over this mysql connector.

Friday, March 22, 2013 10:48 PM

All replies

• User1747761241 posted

The dll goes in the bin folder.  In fact all dlls for your website go in the bin folder.  If you don't have a bin folder create it.

I made a seperate project for mysql access so it would be more dotnet like then I access the mysql project methods and procedures to get data from mysql.  The complete code for this is in the above blog link.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:12 AM
  • User887984496 posted

Hello,

I just tried that and now I get this error: 

Could not load file or assembly 'MySql.Data' or one of its dependencies. This assembly is built by a runtime newer than the currently loaded runtime and cannot be loaded

I'm going to tug on this string now and see what I can find out to resolve it.  At least now I know the web host server can see it.  I imagine I need an older version of the dll.

I appreciate your help.

Monday, March 18, 2013 8:44 PM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi,

First you should check whether give a reference to MySql.Data.dll properly in your project. As the error messages show, you should also check whether whether you have appropriate MySql.Data.dll.

hope it helps you,

With regards

Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:48 AM
  • User13850534 posted

You need to make sure your host server has support over this mysql connector.

Friday, March 22, 2013 10:48 PM
  • User887984496 posted

I have a feeling that its the web host that cannot support it.  The hosting service runs a Windows 2003 Server edition.

And I believe I downloaded the latest MySql.Data.Dll which was developed on a platform that Windows 2003 Server doesn't support.

My next trick is to see if I can find an older version of that dll on the MySql website.

Friday, March 29, 2013 3:21 PM
  • User887984496 posted

Yes I believe I'm using a newer version of the dll.  I need to find an older version of it off the MySql website.

Friday, March 29, 2013 3:22 PM
  • User-1659306303 posted

Hello, I have this same problem.  
    I also got an error identified on line:
    <add assembly="MySql.Data, Version=6.6.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d" />
    And when I copied the dlls into the bin directory I got the same error as you:

What all did you do to fix it (if it's fixed)?

In phpMyAdmin it says I have Software version 5.5.15 of mysql on the web server. I proceeded to try and find 5.5.15 to download to my pc so I could reference it in VS 2008 and make any adjustments. Using http://www.herongyang.com/MySQL/MySQL-5-5-Installation.html I followed the directions for 5.5.15 and ended up with 5.5.32 which I assume is the 32 bit version.  According to the directions I successfully installed everything but there are no dlls in the mysql\bin folder and I couldn't find the MySql.Data.Dll for this older version.  

My web host provided this link: http://www.mindscapehq.com/forums/thread/689146 which includes:
    <runtime>
       <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
         <dependentAssembly>
           <assemblyIdentity name="MySql.Data" publicKeyToken="c5687fc88969c44d" culture="neutral" />
           <bindingRedirect oldVersion="6.3.6.0" newVersion="6.6.5.0" />
         </dependentAssembly>
      </assemblyBinding>
    </runtime>

Which I assume I should include IF I can get the newer dlls to get referenced from my bin folder but as mentioned I get the "Could not load file or assembly 'MySql.Data' or one of its dependencies. This assembly is built by a runtime newer than the currently loaded runtime and cannot be loaded" error.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 10:17 AM