none
2.0 application run on a machine with only 3.5 framework? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

This may be a silly question, but will an application developed in VS2005 and normally running on a machine with version 2.0 of the framework, run OK on a machine with only version 3.5 framework?

I'm thinking it will as the 2.0 libraries are unchanged in 3.5???

Thanks

John

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 4:47 AM

Answers

• Hello John,

It should be fine if you run it on the machine with .NET Framework 3.5 installed.

It is because that the .NET Framework 3.5 is an add-on that requires the .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and the .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 to be present as prerequisites. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    • Marked as answer by Tramper Friday, September 10, 2010 7:04 AM
    Friday, September 10, 2010 5:30 AM

All replies

• Hello John,

It should be fine if you run it on the machine with .NET Framework 3.5 installed.

It is because that the .NET Framework 3.5 is an add-on that requires the .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and the .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 to be present as prerequisites. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    • Marked as answer by Tramper Friday, September 10, 2010 7:04 AM
    Friday, September 10, 2010 5:30 AM
  • Thanks Edwer,

That's what I needed to know.

Sorry another question. Is that why I can't uninstall framework 2.0 on a machine that has 3.5?

Cheers John

Friday, September 10, 2010 7:04 AM
  • Hello,

Yes, if you have the .NET Framework 3.5 installed, you will not be allowed to uninstall the .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 or 2.0 SP1 until you first uninstall the .NET Framework 3.5.  You will also not be allowed to uninstall the .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 until you first uninstall the .NET Framework 3.5 and the .NET Framework 3.0 SP1.

Friday, September 10, 2010 7:12 AM
  • Thanks again Edwer,

No more questions now :-)

Friday, September 10, 2010 7:21 AM