none
PS Scripting Errors RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon,

I'm trying to run script you provided about 4 years agao

$DGs= Get-DistributionGroup | where { (Get-DistributionGroupMember $_ | foreach {$_.PrimarySmtpAddress}) -contains "user@domain.com"}

foreach( $dg in $DGs){
    Remove-DistributionGroupMember $dg -Member user@domain.com
    }

But I get an error when I try to run. I do understand that there is programming script error but I don't know how to fix it.

I'm trying to remove a user from multiple distribution lists by using your script. My environment does not have AD integration at this time.

I get the error msg below when I try to run your script.

Cannot process argument transformation on parameter 'Identity'. Cannot convert

value "ACCESS U.S. Help Desk" to type

"Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.DistributionGroupMemberIdParameter".

Error: "Cannot convert hashtable to an object of the following type:

Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.DistributionGroupMemberIdParameter.

Hashtable-to-Object conversion is not supported in restricted language mode or

a Data section."

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Get-DistributionGroupMember], 

ParameterBindin...mationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentTransformationError,Get-Distrib

utionGroupMember

+ PSComputerName        : pod51048psh.outlook.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Darren

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:08 PM

All replies

• It appears the object of your script is to remove a mailbox from all distribution groups it belongs to, correct?  If so, you might try the following scriptlet:

$MbxDn = (Get-Mailbox "user@domain.com").DistinguishedName
    $Dgs = Get-Group -ResultSize Unlimited -Filter "Members -eq $MbxDN"
    $Dgs | { Remove-DistributionGroupMember $_ -Member $MbxDn }

Your script is searching all DGs and checking each to see if it has that name as a member.  What I have above filters out all that don't have this as a member, which may work better for you - it's not going through each member of every DL.  (And that may be what's giving you this issue ...)

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:20 PM
  • Willard,

What I'm trying to do is remove a user, not the mailbox, from all the distribution lists that they are a member of. Yes I could remove them individually thru Power Shell and GUI interface but I would like to remove in one step if possible.

Darren

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:37 PM
  • So this is an account without a mailbox?  And your script is just to clean up your DL so non-mail-enabled accounts aren't included in it?  If so, the same script I have above will run with a minor change:

$MbxDn = (Get-User "user@domain.com").DistinguishedName
    $Dgs = Get-Group -ResultSize Unlimited -Filter "Members -eq $MbxDN"
    $Dgs | { Remove-DistributionGroupMember $_ -Member $MbxDn }

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:30 AM