none
Unable to checkin or checkout document in sharepoint list. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to archive few documents from a document library to archive document library , through a power shell script.  The issue iam facing is,

the file gets checkout by default, inspite of no version control setting is set on the Archive document library.

When i try to edit the file properties and try to check in again , i get the error message

"You cannot discard check out because there is no checked in version of the document. Please delete this document instead."

I have verified the content type, attributes all looks the same to the source library and the destination library.

Any help is much appreciated.

Monday, February 6, 2017 3:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Manibee,

The error where check out cannot be discarded is typically due to required fields and a value being missing.  Since the value is missing, the item can't be checked in.  

Are you missing any required fields?

Regards,

Jithendar.

Monday, February 6, 2017 4:32 AM
  • Hi Jithendar, I have verified the list settings, I have supplied all the required fields. The list have three content type applied to the list, I suspect there could there could be some hidden field, is there any script to check which field is missing??? Thanks again for your quick response
    Monday, February 6, 2017 9:00 AM
  • Hi,

How about you changing the option “Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited? ” to NO indocument versioning settings? Here is one thread for your reference.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sharepoint/comments/1p593p/documents_automatically_checked_out_when_uploaded/

Best Regards,

Lee

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 6:50 AM
  • Hi,

Could you provide any feedback for your issue?

Best Regards,

Lee

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 13, 2017 9:19 AM