none
Can't specify "(none)" for a property in Edm Designer RRS feed

• Question

• In the Edm Designer, I set the default property of one of my date entity properties to  "Now". It didn't like it. So I tried to set it back the way it was ( it was "(none)").  But nothing I did would satisfy it. I finally went into XML mode and removed the default attribute. Build still complained about the default value until  I ran custom tool on the object generators.

Shouldn't the designer allow one to set a proper to (none)? Is there a way and I just can't figure it out?

Friday, September 30, 2011 9:11 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I used ProcessMonitor to check it. When you modify "Default Value", it looks it's finding the CLSID on your registry. Please check the following CLSID path. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{88D96A05-F192-11D4-A65F-0040963251E5} I'm not 100 percent sure that your Visual Studio was corrupted. But as you know, after installed Visual Studio on the machine, it will register various components onto it. So the fastest way to solve your question, I suggest you uninstall your Visual Studio from your machine and re-install it and try it again. For your reference, I recommand you use Visual Studio 2010 Uninstall Utility to uninstall Visual Studio from your machine.

HTH,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by DavidSherwood Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:49 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by DavidSherwood Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by DavidSherwood Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:56 PM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:40 AM

All replies

• There is a drop down list box where you typed the value for your property. You can select "(None)" from the list (instead of typing it) and then it should work. At least it did for me:)

Please, let me know if still does not work for you.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 6:44 AM
  • I don't get anything in the drop down except blank and it won't let me pick it.
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 10:51 PM
  • Hello,

Looks this issue was related to VS IDE. I suggest you can check the following two major pillars.

1. I suggest you uninstall completely components relatived with Entity Framework or others and re-install it and try it again.

2. I suggest you try to reset VS environment leverage with "devenv.exe /resetsettings" and try it again.

HTH,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:03 AM
  • I tried you option 2. No different.   I'm afraid to try option1. I've had problems uninstall components in the past.

I do notice that the Precision, Nullabe and StoreGeneratedPattern properties have a "(none)" in their drop down. It just Default Value that has nothing in its drop down.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:31 PM
  • Hello,

I used ProcessMonitor to check it. When you modify "Default Value", it looks it's finding the CLSID on your registry. Please check the following CLSID path. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{88D96A05-F192-11D4-A65F-0040963251E5} I'm not 100 percent sure that your Visual Studio was corrupted. But as you know, after installed Visual Studio on the machine, it will register various components onto it. So the fastest way to solve your question, I suggest you uninstall your Visual Studio from your machine and re-install it and try it again. For your reference, I recommand you use Visual Studio 2010 Uninstall Utility to uninstall Visual Studio from your machine.

HTH,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]

• Marked as answer by DavidSherwood Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:49 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by DavidSherwood Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by DavidSherwood Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:56 PM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:40 AM
  • I checked. No I don't have the class. I did a repair re-install of ADO.Net Entity Framework 4.1 - Update 1. But this did not help.

I guess I can live without it.  Its good to know that its supposed to provide (None).

Thanks for your help.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:56 PM