Classic ASP and COM debugging RRS feed

• Question

• User-1120183401 posted

I have inherited a classic ASP project and a VB6 Component (ActiveX .dll) that goes with it.

I would like to be able to debug this component by running it locally on my machine.

I have a Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) laptop.

I have setup IIS 7.5 locally (production is running IIS5), however, when I browse to the site (locally) I get:

Active Server Pages error '00000000'
    Create object failed
    ?
    An error occured while create object 'OBJECTNAME'
    Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01ae'
    Class does't support Automation: 'ID of object in global.asa

I'm not a server guy, so I don't have a lot of experience setting up IIS. I want to setup this project locally so I can step through the COM object using the debugger.

What do I need to do to get this running?

Just as an FYI :

In the global.asa I have the following:

<object runat="server" scope="session" id="ABC" progid="prjABC.clsABC"></object>

Then in the ASP I have the following call:

if ABC.propertyName = True then

It fails at that line.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:42 PM

Answers

• User-1120183401 posted

Martin,

Thank you for your replies.  Actually another user suggested that it might be in my application pools.  Basically I changed the Enable32bit flag to "True" and I changed Managed Pipeline to "Classic".

The site is using the .dlls as expected and is running locally.

Thanks for your time and effort with this request!

Jeff

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 12:58 PM

All replies

• User-1672167363 posted

Hello,

Start here for information  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/964101 based on the error message.

You need to have the Active X dll registered for the system and the support of  VB6 Runtime.

You will need to have correct permissions for the Web Site and Server where the code is being run.

Do you have the source for the Component (Active X dll ) that is part of the project ?

Are you setting up the debugging to test fix create or new Component aka (Active X dll)?

You may find it easier to use Visual Studio 2010 to create a new updated componet as Active X dll

then trying to get old Active X dll to run.

Post answers  or questions.

Martin

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:39 PM
  • User-1120183401 posted

I have registered the .dlls and I have VB6 running on my box.  Not sure about the permissions aspect.  I have given all the users full control/modify permissions.

I can't updated the .dll to 2010 yet.  I do have the source code of the .dll.  

Basically i want the site that currently runs on the production server (IIS5) to run locally on my box so I can step through the activeX code when I make certain calls via the site.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:57 PM
  • User-1672167363 posted

Hello,

If you have Visual Studio installed then you can Attach to the running process and Debug / Step through the Errors.

For the Site that currently runs on IIS 5 in production server to run locally all you can do is debug.

Reason is Active X and Code are failing.

You can look at the Attached Process and look at debug as F1, F2, F9  steps in the failed module.

To look at the Active X Control and failures you might find using Process Monitor to capture code

might give more information.

You might find using "Dependey Walker" and looking for what system calls are made might be better than debugging the Active X dll.

hope this helps,

Martin

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 7:51 PM
  • User-1120183401 posted

I tried creating a VERY SIMPLE ActiveX dll and try to use it on my LOCAL IIS and even that failed...  

How do I access the process monitor?

Just to be clear (stupid question)...  For the production code, there is no way I can attach to that locally and debug right?  Meaning I can't attach to the production dlls and open VB6 and debug the code.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:03 PM
  • User-1672167363 posted

Hello,

General: FYI The topics so far have not IIS Server configuration and settings but more coding issues. 

So you have problem with creating Active X dll and then running it.

You need to fix this issue before doing andything else. The problem is likely permissions not set correctly.

The Process Monitor is a tool from System Internals and located here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645 .

A guide for Process Monitor is here http://www.iislogs.com/articles/processmonitorw3wp/ .

You said that the "Production code is in IIS 5 Server on Remote System / Machine" then no you can not attach locally.

If you set-up "Remote Debugging for the Production IIS 5 Server" you then could debug the code.

I would suggest that the doing "Remote Debugging" on the "Production Server" is not a good option.

Debugging and testing of code can have bad effects for "Production Server" and only should be done for Emergency cases.

May be you should check the Visual Studio Forum for debugging code & suggestions as a thought.

Martin

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:42 PM
  • User-1120183401 posted

Martin,

I agree that it is probably a permission issue, however, I have no idea what it could be.  My questions aren't really code issues as I can't call the code to do anything yet...

Is there any resources that would walk me through setting up IIS 7.5 for a classic ASP application locally (for permission information specifically)?

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 11:16 PM
  • User-1672167363 posted

Hello,

Here is over view of IIS Server with Diagram http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/243/aspnet-integration-with-iis-7/ .

Information for Users & Accounts here http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/140/understanding-built-in-user-and-group-accounts-in-iis-7/ .

For Trouble Shooting permissions and code

Request Failures http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/565/using-failed-request-tracing-to-troubleshoot-classic-asp-errors/ .

Martin

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 11:41 PM
  • User-1672167363 posted

Hello,

You find this "Visual Basic 6 ActiveX EXEs with Visual Basic 2005"

code sample  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=5c66b49a-df85-4022-bb5e-43725009eb7e 

of use for Migrating the Code.

Martin

Thursday, April 14, 2011 12:32 AM
  • User-1120183401 posted

Martin,

Thank you for your replies.  Actually another user suggested that it might be in my application pools.  Basically I changed the Enable32bit flag to "True" and I changed Managed Pipeline to "Classic".

The site is using the .dlls as expected and is running locally.

Thanks for your time and effort with this request!

Jeff

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 12:58 PM