none
Visual Studio for Mac: should VS 2015 or 2017 RC be used on Windows to maintain parity?

Question

• I want to try out the recent evolution of Xamarin Studio, Visual Studio for Mac, in a setting that will involve Windows PCs as well. The VS for Mac announcement blog post says that "since Visual Studio for Mac uses the same MSBuild solution and project format as Visual Studio, developers working on Mac and Windows can share projects across Mac and Windows transparently." My question is, what version of Visual Studio should be used on Windows to avoid version conflicts? While I'm using preview software on the Mac side, I might as well do the same on Windows and get the enhancements that come with it; but if VS for Mac is targeting VS 2015 solutions, that probably won't work well.

Which version should I be using?

Wasabi Fan

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 5:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Wasabi Fan,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>> Which version should I be using?

As far as I know, you should use theVisual Studio 2017, that can help you avoid the unnecessary compatibility issue when you share projects. please have a look at this: Announcing .NET Core Tools MSBuild “alpha” and I found the following information:

Visual Studio for Mac is a new member of the Visual Studio family, focused on cross-platform mobile and cloud development on the mac. It includes support for .NET Core and Xamarin projects. In fact, Visual Studio for Mac is an evolution of Xamarin Studio.

Visual Studio for Mac is intended to provide a very similar .NET Core development experience as what was described above for Visual Studio 2017 RC. We’ll continue to improve both experiences together as we get closer to shipping .NET Core Tools, Visual Studio for Mac and Visual Studio 2017 next year.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 8:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Wasabi Fan,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>> Which version should I be using?

As far as I know, you should use theVisual Studio 2017, that can help you avoid the unnecessary compatibility issue when you share projects. please have a look at this: Announcing .NET Core Tools MSBuild “alpha” and I found the following information:

Visual Studio for Mac is a new member of the Visual Studio family, focused on cross-platform mobile and cloud development on the mac. It includes support for .NET Core and Xamarin projects. In fact, Visual Studio for Mac is an evolution of Xamarin Studio.

Visual Studio for Mac is intended to provide a very similar .NET Core development experience as what was described above for Visual Studio 2017 RC. We’ll continue to improve both experiences together as we get closer to shipping .NET Core Tools, Visual Studio for Mac and Visual Studio 2017 next year.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 8:46 AM
  • My interpretation of that quote is that they're both targeting the same .NET Core version, but that's not necessarily true for the MSBuild format and other tooling versions (especially for non-.NET Core toolsets). Is that what you're thinking too? Or are they more closely linked than I'm imagining? My plan is to use the 2017 RC and see how VS for Mac handles it; assuming it seems to be happy with the interop, the combination of basic empirical testing and the docs you mentioned should be enough for me to be confident that it is operating as intended.

Wasabi Fan

Friday, December 2, 2016 1:44 AM
  • Hi Wasabi Fan,

The VS 2017 RC and VS for Mac are released on the same day by Microsoft, they are Nov 16.2016 and I think they are very close for the parts/features which both of them are supported.

BTW, once you have any issue when you share the specific project in the future, please raise it up, we will help you to continue research it, thank you for your support.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Friday, December 2, 2016 2:21 AM