DR for BizTalk App Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello BizTalk Experts,

I am a new bee in BizTalk world. we are trying to setup BizTalk in our company for the first time. our apps in BizTalk aren't huge but we would like to setup a DR plan for BizTalk environement(both front end BizTalk App server and BizTalk database server). we are using BizTalk 2010 and Biztalk database as sql 2008 R2 with 2 node clustering. we seperated the biztalk app server and database server. we also configure the DR server

I am assuming that (I may be wrong too) lot of people face trouble while recovering SSO database in case of DR, becuase it saves the passwords and encryption info for the files.

so I am looking for detailed doc which talks about the step by step procedure to be followed to recover database and biztalk app server. in case of DR for BizTalk (i.e steps that tells about recover the ront end biztalk app server and biztalk database).

Thank you all

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:18 PM

Answers

• Hi

I have configured the DR and It works fine as per the details provided by MSDN. I would suggest to you read following posts.

BizTalk Log Shipping- give details of log shipping/configuration

BizTalk DB Restore-usign powershell

Biztalk log shipping -DR-by MSDN

Backing up and restoring BizTalk-Steps-More relevant for you

BizTalk DR2 

With the help of those links, I was able to configure and manage the DR. You might need some changes if you want to include others BizTalk databases whcih are not configured for backup by default like BAMAnalysis and BAMStarSchema.

HTH

Naushad

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:26 PM
  • Please refer to Microsoft BizTalk Server 2010 Operations Guide - This comprehensive guide provides operational readiness information to help you jumpstart with your BizTalk Server setup.

HTH.

Don't forget to mark the post as answer or vote as helpful if it does, Regards - Sathish Krishnan

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:49 PM
  • Hi DBA Guy!

Check out this TechNet Wiki article. Dedicated to your needs!

BizTalk Server: Disaster Recovery

Be aware that its important to keep the backupof SQL by using the dedicated backup job. The reason for this is the transaction marking BizTalk uses to maintain the stability and correct database and logs for backup.

For the BizTalk Server, make sure you keep backup of application, assembly files, config files, iis config, MSDTC, BizTalk configuration and so on that you install. What versions of BizTalk is intalled, any third-party adapters, and what CU your on. Including adapter packs you are using and so on.

It is also many ways to maintain and keep backup, you can have a cold environment waiting, or just some server available to install BizTalk on them (remember it does take some time to install BizTalk on clean boxes). Or a warm server being updated and maintained as a "production" server for a faster DR. The options are many.

Best regards

Tord Glad Nordahl
    Bouvet ASA, Norway
    http://www.BizTalkAdmin.com |@tordeman

Please indicate ”Mark as Answer” if this post has answered the question.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:36 AM

All replies

• Hi

I have configured the DR and It works fine as per the details provided by MSDN. I would suggest to you read following posts.

BizTalk Log Shipping- give details of log shipping/configuration

BizTalk DB Restore-usign powershell

Biztalk log shipping -DR-by MSDN

Backing up and restoring BizTalk-Steps-More relevant for you

BizTalk DR2 

With the help of those links, I was able to configure and manage the DR. You might need some changes if you want to include others BizTalk databases whcih are not configured for backup by default like BAMAnalysis and BAMStarSchema.

HTH

Naushad

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:26 PM
  • Hello Naushad,

Thanks for sharing the info....

I'll go thru the docs and ask if any questions :-)

Thanks Again

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Please refer to Microsoft BizTalk Server 2010 Operations Guide - This comprehensive guide provides operational readiness information to help you jumpstart with your BizTalk Server setup.

HTH.

Don't forget to mark the post as answer or vote as helpful if it does, Regards - Sathish Krishnan

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:49 PM
  • Thank you Sathish
    Monday, February 20, 2012 6:19 PM
  • Hi DBA Guy!

Check out this TechNet Wiki article. Dedicated to your needs!

BizTalk Server: Disaster Recovery

Be aware that its important to keep the backupof SQL by using the dedicated backup job. The reason for this is the transaction marking BizTalk uses to maintain the stability and correct database and logs for backup.

For the BizTalk Server, make sure you keep backup of application, assembly files, config files, iis config, MSDTC, BizTalk configuration and so on that you install. What versions of BizTalk is intalled, any third-party adapters, and what CU your on. Including adapter packs you are using and so on.

It is also many ways to maintain and keep backup, you can have a cold environment waiting, or just some server available to install BizTalk on them (remember it does take some time to install BizTalk on clean boxes). Or a warm server being updated and maintained as a "production" server for a faster DR. The options are many.

Best regards

Tord Glad Nordahl
    Bouvet ASA, Norway
    http://www.BizTalkAdmin.com |@tordeman

Please indicate ”Mark as Answer” if this post has answered the question.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:36 AM