none
MS Office 2013 + IE 10 -> SharePoint.OpenDocuments stops working after refresh RRS feed

• Question

• On the 64-bit Windows 8 machine with MS Office 2013 installed in IE 10 I do the following:

1. Create a SharePoint.OpenDocuments ActiveX and call EditDocument with a Url to a document. The document is opened for editing correctly, with no problem.
    2. Refresh the web page (do not close the browser, just refresh).
    3. Create the SharePoint.OpenDocuments ActiveX and call EditDocument again. This time this call returns false and the document is not opened.

The error persists until you restart the web browser.

I believe the bug is specific to MS Office 2013+IE10 or Windows 64 bitness, the same code works just fine with MS Office 2010+IE9+Windows Vista 32bit.

Are there any solution or bug fix for this issue? If not, are there any website to report this bug?
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:58 PM

Answers

•      Hi,

Greetings! Thanks for the post.

I have gone through the issue detail and do not see any reason why this behavior. To be able to troubleshoot and resolve your issue, I would request you to open a support ticket with Microsoft. This will help us provide you a solution quickly as this needs considerable amount of troubleshooting

For more information about Microsoft Support please read the article http://support.microsoft.com/gp/proffaq/en-gb

================================================================================

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thanks,

Bharat Rathod,

Microsoft Online Community Support

Saturday, July 6, 2013 12:05 AM

All replies

• Hi WebDAV,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:01 AM
  • Hi,

Could you please share the code? What version of SharePoint are you using?

================================================================================

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thanks,

Bharat Rathod,

Monday, June 24, 2013 9:29 PM
  • I am using the following JavaScript code:

var doc = new ActiveXObject("SharePoint.OpenDocuments");
    doc.EditDocument("http://webdavserver.com/folder/file.doc");      

Changing SharePoint.OpenDocuments to SharePoint.OpenDocuments.2 or SharePoint.OpenDocuments.3 does not make any difference.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:11 PM
  • I experience the same issue. Works fine with Office 2010 but not with Office 2013 on Windows 7 with IE 10.

Any solutions?

Saturday, June 29, 2013 8:06 AM
  •      Hi,

I have gone through the issue detail and do not see any reason why this behavior. To be able to troubleshoot and resolve your issue, I would request you to open a support ticket with Microsoft. This will help us provide you a solution quickly as this needs considerable amount of troubleshooting

For more information about Microsoft Support please read the article http://support.microsoft.com/gp/proffaq/en-gb

Thanks,

Bharat Rathod,

Saturday, July 6, 2013 12:05 AM
  • Hi,

We're having the exact same issue in our company. Was there a support ticket open with Microsoft in the end? Is there a solution to this issue?

Our test environment this fails in is Windows 8.1, IE11, Office 2013. Same code works fine in Windows 7, IE11, Office 2010.

In a new browser session, we can opening a document for edit and everything works as expected. When you close the document and try to reopen it then nothing happens. Also can't open any other documents through the web page using "SharePoint.OpenDocuments".

Now if I open Word directly I can open the word document contained in the webdav directory. Looks to me kind of like a problem with the plugin that provides the SharePoint.OpenDocuments function.

Any help on this issue is appreciated. Thanks.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:17 AM
  • I had this problem too. I solved it by instanciating the ActiveXObject just once and keeping the reference.
    I use AngularJS and have defined a global State that I inject into the controller, where I need to call EditDocument3(...)

service

module.factory('AppState', function() {
     var data = {
      obj : new ActiveXObject('SharePoint.OpenDocuments.3'),
      getOpendoc : function () { return data.opendoc; }
     }
     return data;
    });

and then in the controller, use the global instance

function MyCtrl($scope, AppState) {
      $scope.openWord = function(docUrl) {
         var encodedDocUrl = encodeURI(docUrl)
         var obj = AppState.getOpendoc();
         obj.EditDocument3(window, docUrl, false);
      }
    }

Edit: this only solves multiple requests to the ActiveX Objects functions, but still does not solve a browser refresh, that reloads the page and thus also reinitializes the ActiveX Singleton. Looks like this is a browser-wide issue. Only reopening the browser helps.

I'm using Office2013 with IE11

• Edited by dagerber Friday, February 28, 2014 10:14 AM
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 9:41 AM