getting a field value from an MVC model RRS feed

• Question

• User369345748 posted

My Sharepoint remote ClientContext application requires a JSONFeed ( also CSV & XML feeds too)  from it. in order to reduce code and aid clarity, I want to put the command to format the JSON into a function.  as follows 

foreach (MVCHrer.Models.CustomClass oListItem in BigList)
                {
                    json += "{";
                    json += JSONval(oListItem, "myFieldone", " ") + ",";
                    json += JSONval(oListItem, "MyFieldtwo", " ") + ",";

etc....  

}

This works for looping through a ListItemCollection  ( Obviously the foreach loop has different classes) but I can t it to work when navigating a list of  corresponding to an MVC model type.  I want to use this, so that I can apply MVC model validation & add extra fields, but I cant find a form of syntax that works.  

This works

public string JSONval(sp.ListItem oListItem, string i_field, string nul_val)
            {
                string retval = '"' + i_field + '"' + ":" + '"';
                string nval = "";
                string dataValue = HttpUtility.HtmlEncode(oListItem[i_field].ToString());
                retval += dataValue+'"';
                return (retval);

}

This does not . Two basic version of what I have tried are commented out in the function below 

public string JSONval(MVCHrer.Models.CustomClass MVCListItem, string i_field, string nul_val)

{
                string retval = '"' + i_field + '"' + ":" + '"';
                string dataValue = "";
       //  string fval = oListItem.GetType().GetField(i_field).GetValue(oListItem).ToString();

//ver1          

// oListItem[i_field].ToString();  

//ver 2

retval += dataValue + '"';
                return (retval);
            }

Any suggestions gratefully recieved 

I have seen references to FieldInfo , But not even intellisense can bring back something that works....

Type myTypeA = Type.GetType(oListItem);
        FieldInfo myFieldInfo = myTypeA.GetField(i_field);

retval = myFieldInfo.GetValue();

Richard

Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:37 AM

Answers

• User-1280676833 posted

You should get the model type first, like this:

string Datavalue=rowitem.GetType().GetField("f2").GetValue().ToString();    

Hope this helpful
    Regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:27 AM

All replies

• User197322208 posted

This works for looping through a ListItemCollection  ( Obviously the foreach loop has different classes) but I can t it to work when navigating a list of  corresponding to an MVC model type

this is the way that MVC expects a list of items

http://haacked.com/archive/2008/10/23/model-binding-to-a-list.aspx

Thursday, September 20, 2012 4:46 AM
  • User369345748 posted

Thanks for the reply  & the link is interesting.  but I am not entirely sure how to use it to get the specific syntax I need

Supposing ClassX is made up 2 fields :

string f1 

string f2

....  it could have more

& I  already have a list of type "ClassX" called "biglist",  I need the syntax in the foreach loop to get the value of the field "f2" for the currently selected rowitem in the variable Datavalue

foreach (ClassX rowitem in bigList)

//       string Datavalue=rowitem.getfield("f2").getvalue().tostring();    or the working equivalent.

}

Many thanks 

I know the syntax rowitem.f2; etc...   but I am trying to pass a fieldname as a parameter into a reusable function

Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:31 AM
  • User-474980206 posted

MVC models are standard class instances. to access "fields" you use the reflection library.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:43 AM
  • User369345748 posted

All the samples I have seen of reflection show how to iterate through a collection of fields & get out the "nth" field, rather than jumping straight to the specific named field to get its properties

Please advise on syntax or post a link to how to achieve this.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:47 AM
  • User-1280676833 posted

You should get the model type first, like this:

string Datavalue=rowitem.GetType().GetField("f2").GetValue().ToString();    

Hope this helpful
    Regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:27 AM