none
Server Hangs when running a particular test scenario with PCIe based adapters (heavy IOs + reset adapter every 30 sec) RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi All,

I am observing server hang while running a particular test scenario. 

Test Scenario: 

1. Connect two PCIe based adapters to Dell R710 Server (latest BIOS + 12GB RAM + Windows 2012 R2 OS).

2. Run Heavy IOs on both adapters using Vdbench

3. Run the script which will issue adapter resets for every 30 sec on alternate adapters.

From the Memory Dump I noticed the following things

In our driver , I didn't find any suspect point.

Kindly let me know your valuable suggestions to debug this issue.

Regards,
    Sai

Thursday, June 26, 2014 4:41 PM

All replies

• you are testing with driver verifier on, that will change the perf characteristics of the machine. Are you sure it is a hang or just very slow in responding?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 6:56 PM
  • I noticed the following things:

1. Remote Access to that server failed with black screen and the remote desktop connection window closes automatically.

2. Mouse,Keyboard are not working.

3. But interesting point is on the screen, I am able to see IOs are running and CPU utilization is 2-3%. RAM utilization is 20%.

So I feel it's a kind of hang scenario. 

Regards,

Sai

Friday, June 27, 2014 1:07 AM
  • You might want to try enabling the StorPort analytic and debug logs. Look in Event Viewer\Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\StorPort. If you don't know what that means, start here

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Friday, June 27, 2014 3:11 AM