Moving data with metadata between document libraries and site RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a SharePoint environment in which some of the sites are starting to reach their DB Max size. As it stands I already know that you can't split a site collection across multiple DBs( which is a pain). On the other hand, I know I can't move differ parts of a site collection into a new site collection in a fresh database. The stumbling block I have is moving data from one point to another and still retaining it's metadata. Almost all the data in my environment has metadata. How do I move a library that has 1000 document that have metadata to say a different library on another site and the documents still retain their metadata( in other words I don't have to retag all 1000 documents after the move)?

Thanks,

Dominic

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 4:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Dominic,

The Record Center feature should be a choice for you:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Introduction-to-the-Records-Center-site-7380c50f-7260-4dc8-91ec-73cf7b67a8a1#bmconfig

You can archive the documents there, to keep your sites’ size from growing too large.

Best regards,

Patrick Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Patrick_Liang Monday, December 19, 2016 10:26 AM
    Thursday, December 15, 2016 8:06 AM
  • Hi

you can use powershell script to do it

http://www.sharepointdiary.com/2014/06/move-files-between-document-libraries-with-metdata-version-history.html

let me know if you need more details

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCITP, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

Thursday, December 15, 2016 8:42 AM
  • Thanks for this. Will try it out.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 11:23 AM
  • I will test this and let you know

Thanks,

Dominic

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 11:24 AM