none
Platform Builder hangs while debugging RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Sometimes, my platform builder just hangs. I don't know why this happens, or which part (Visual Studio, Platform Builder, KITl, etc.) exactly hangs, but I suppose something on the target (as described later). From the viewpoint of user, the whole system (target + visual studio on desktop) stop to respond.

I use VS 2005, with platform builder installed for WinCE 6.0 R3, and I have an OS project with two subprojects, a driver and a small test-app.

I compile the OS image in debug mode, the device boots up with an ethernet bootloader, downloads the image from my desktop PC, it boots up and everything works fine for "some time". "Some time" can vary between hours and weeks. Suddenly the whole system will just stop to response. Both the device and Visual Studio 'hang', or take at least a veeery long time to response. When the problem occurs, it is very hard to fix. Restarting the machines, rebuilding the whole project, etc. will all not help. The only thing I know of that helps is starting with a new OS design. This "new OS design" may either be a completely new created one, or one of our in-house os design. Whenever the error occures, and the OS design gets broken, it takes ages to start up (normally it would boot in less than a minute). The driver and the test-app are both excluded from the OS design, and the driver also has the Don't-Load-Flag set in the registry.

I have used Wireshark to see what happens on the ethernet cable. While everything is fine, the target and the desktop machine will exchange messages every few milliseconds. If something goes wrong, the target will stop to response for some times. The Wireshark trace then looks something like this:

No. Time Source Destination Protocol Info Size
    1 0.000000 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2 UDP Source port: 2402 Destination port: 981 50
    2 1.999896 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2 UDP Source port: 2402 Destination port: 981 50
    3 1.999896 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2 UDP Source port: 2402 Destination port: 981 50
    4 1.999889 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2 UDP Source port: 2402 Destination port: 981 50
    5 1.999907 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2 UDP Source port: 2402 Destination port: 981 50

As you can see, the target won't respond, and the desktop machine tries to send something every 2 seconds. While booting up, the target boots up fine, then it won't respond for about 20-30 seconds, then it will continue to boot again normally, then it will not respond for 20-30 seconds, then continue to boot, and so on and so on. All together it can take 10 minutes to boot, and even if it gets up and running, it is impossible to work with it, because it will hit this "not-responding-phase" also in normal operation.

Has anyone of you ever seen a behavior like this?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Wallner

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 6:35 AM

All replies

• I have sporadically seen similar behavior and haven't been able to identify it, although I don't remember what was on the wire in my case.  I haven't seen this in quite a while though; not sure what was triggering it for me.  Sometimes this type of issue can be fixed by deleting the target connection and creating a new one?
    Dean Ramsier eMVP BSQUARE Corporation
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 1:10 PM
  • Hello Dean,
    Sometimes this type of issue can be fixed by deleting the target connection and creating a new one?

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try this out when the problem hits me the next time.

Best regards, Wolfgang Wallner

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 1:19 PM