How can we deploy apps that need support of programs running in desktop mode?

Question

• Hi,

I have a situation where my metro app needs to communicate with the desktop app to do the business logic. What are the options that I have?

1. Can I have my app in widows store that installs a desktop app as well?

2. Can I have a desktop app installer that installs a metro app as well?

Regards,

Kashyap

Monday, May 13, 2013 1:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Kashyap,

I don't want to mislead you by attempting to interpret the certification guidelines. I suggest you read the certification requirements as a whole rather than trying to cherry pick items out of context.

That said, the statement you quote doesn't appear to say anything allowing inter process communication. From a technical sense, local network communication is deliberately blocked for Windows Store apps.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by ckkashyap Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:03 AM
    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:15 PM
    Owner
  • This is not a supported scenario.

See certification requirement 3.1 at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694083.aspx

--Rob

Monday, May 13, 2013 2:41 PM
    Owner

All replies

• This is not a supported scenario.

See certification requirement 3.1 at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694083.aspx

--Rob

Monday, May 13, 2013 2:41 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Rob,

The following statement is a little ambiguous in my mind - 

"Unless your app is a Storefront for software, your app must not encourage users to install desktop software that is not required to complete the primary value of the app."

Does it mean that if installing a desktop app is necessary to complete the primary value of the app then we could ask user to install a desktop app as well? Is a network(TCP/IP) communication to the desktop app acceptable in that case? 

Regards,

Kashyap

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:09 PM
  • Hi Kashyap,

I don't want to mislead you by attempting to interpret the certification guidelines. I suggest you read the certification requirements as a whole rather than trying to cherry pick items out of context.

That said, the statement you quote doesn't appear to say anything allowing inter process communication. From a technical sense, local network communication is deliberately blocked for Windows Store apps.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by ckkashyap Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:03 AM
    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:15 PM
    Owner