none
Unable to use File Share Shadow Copy provider RRS feed

• Question

• I am developing application which uses VSS to backup virtual machines. Since Windows Server 2012 it is now possible to backup a virtual machine which is located on SMB share. The main difference, comparing to usual VSS is usage of Microsoft File Share Shadow Copy provider. So I've been trying to use it but without any success, IsVolumeSupported method constantly says, that the volume is not supported by the provider. I've been trying a lot of cases, with Scale-Out SMB share and with non clustered \\smb_share\shareVMand even tried some ridicilious cases like passing CSV GUID to it, but still result is the same. 

I also tried to work with diskshadow tool, but when adding desired volume to backup I get :

The provider does not support volume shadow copies for this volume in this context.
    You must either change the context or add a different volume.
    Note that changing the context might cause existing volumes in the shadow copy set to become unsupported.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks on advance.

Friday, August 1, 2014 10:52 AM

All replies

• Have you found the solution? If so, please let me know. I am stuck in the same condition.

Thursday, February 1, 2018 1:01 PM
  • Any luck with the issue? Please let us know your findings. 

I am also struck with the same issue with scale out file server.

Thanks

Thursday, December 13, 2018 7:43 AM