none
The simple type restrictions like X12_R, X12_AN, X12_N0 RRS feed

• Question

• Can anybody give me some advices about the simply types of X12_R, X12_AN, X12_N0, and etc.
    I've no idea how the restriction works between them when validating an instance againt my X12 edi schema.

A function list of the restrictions about these simply types is perfect.

X12_N
    X12_R
    X12_AN
    X12_ID
    X12_DT
    X12_TM
    X12_N0 ~ X12_N9

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:16 AM

Answers

•  

X12_N   - This is an integer data type with an optional length restriction

X12_R   - This is a real number. Has the format [sign]integral-digits[.[fractional-digits]] where Sign can only be -, + would not be accepted

X12_AN - This is an alphanumeric data type with length restrictions

X12_ID  - This is an enumeration data type with optional length restrictions

X12_DT - DateTime data type

X12_TM - Time data type

X12_Nx - This is an integer type with an implied decimal point, specified by x > 0. So if Type is N2 – then parser would convert  1234 to 12.34

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:35 PM

All replies

•  

At least for the HIPAA schemas(not sure about the rest) - All of these simple types are defined as xsTongue Tiedtring - "strings". You can scroll to the bottom of the schemas and see their definition.

For each element they are referenced by, you may see other facets(restrictions) applied.

minLength -  minimum length of allowed

maxLength - maximum length allowed

enumerations - list of values that are allowed

All of these relate to the XML validation of the message (validating the XML version of the EDI message).... but the values are pulled for use in EDI validation as well.... along with some others that are pulled from the BizTalk namespace in the schema. (EDI datatype, custom_maxlength, formats, etc). Can you say a bit more about what you are looking for? Or the problems you are having?

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:09 PM
  • There are just definitions at the bottom of the edi x12 schemas, but without any annotations I need to understand well.

I encoutred a problem that when the element base type is "X12_R", the data like "22.20" or "005" in that element can not pass the edi schema validation, but if i change the base type to "X12_AN", it will pass.

So I think there is some restrictions between these base types, and I can not find any guidance about these types in the biztalk server references.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:46 AM
  • You need to set a EDI party property for allowing "leading and trailing zeros".

Below are steps to set it:

1. open Party EDI properties

2. choose X12 properties-> Party as Interchange sender-> validation and ACk generation

3. select "check-box" for "allow leading and trailing zeros and spaces"

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 7:04 AM
  •  Bhola Meena[MSFT] wrote:

You need to set a EDI party property for allowing "leading and trailing zeros".

Below are steps to set it:

1. open Party EDI properties

2. choose X12 properties-> Party as Interchange sender-> validation and ACk generation

3. select "check-box" for "allow leading and trailing zeros and spaces"

I've tried this before and it do works, but I still want to get the details about these base types differences.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 1:36 PM
  •  

X12_N   - This is an integer data type with an optional length restriction

X12_R   - This is a real number. Has the format [sign]integral-digits[.[fractional-digits]] where Sign can only be -, + would not be accepted

X12_AN - This is an alphanumeric data type with length restrictions

X12_ID  - This is an enumeration data type with optional length restrictions

X12_DT - DateTime data type

X12_TM - Time data type

X12_Nx - This is an integer type with an implied decimal point, specified by x > 0. So if Type is N2 – then parser would convert  1234 to 12.34

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:35 PM