none
ADF V2 Deployment via ARM Template

Question

• I am new to ARM Templates and JSON.  I have built my first pipeline (ADF V2) which resides in a GIT Dev environment.  I have exported the ARM template and I am attempting to import it into the Data Factory environment. I don't know how to build the string for the linked service connections.  Please advise.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 9:08 PM

All replies

• When you Export the ARM template from the ADFv2 GUI, 2 files are created:

• Template file: Templates containing all the data factory metadata (pipelines, datasets etc.) corresponding to your data factory.
    • Configuration file: Contains environment parameters that will be different for each environment (Dev, Test, Prod etc.) like Storage connection, Azure Databricks cluster connection and more.

The configuration file contains the linked service details like connection strings which you need to enter in your screenshot. You can also open code view for the resource in the Data Factory UI: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/data-factory/media/continuous-integration-deployment/continuous-integration-codeview.png

Jorg Klein's Microsoft Business Intelligence Blog

Friday, November 9, 2018 3:01 PM
  • What i understood is that you have a source factory with some pipelines, and linked services. They are already configured and working. And you want to import these resources into another factory. So in the source factory you Exported the ARM templates, and are now importing them into destination factory by doing an ARM deployment.

If thats correct, these parameters is really the secrets that were used to configure the linked services in the source factory. When we export ARM templates, we dont put sensitive information like secrets, passwords and connection strings in the ARM template. You are required to provide those again, when you use the templates.

So go through each parameter, say Azure_Storage_Linked_Service_Connection_String: this seems to be a linked service, locate this resource in the source factory, and find out its connection string (you must be having these to be able to configure them in any factory), and provide them here one by one.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 6:31 PM