What is the best approach to Enterprise Architecture Web Application? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1842988578 posted

I have an enterprise project that was created using CodeSmith to generate the:

1. Entities: the classes representing each table for the application database

2. Stored procedures: main CRUD operations

3. DAL: the classes that represents the main DAL operations for the Select, Insert, Update and Delete.

What is the best approach to develop the Web.UI interface, I was thinking in using the VS2005 DataSourceObjects, but I would have to decorate the DAL with the DataOjbect and DatObjectMethods.

Also it doesn't sound right to call the DAL from the Web.UI....

Is this a good proven approach or what would be the best and most flexible way to design this web application?

Thanks in advance.

George

Friday, February 6, 2009 9:23 PM

Answers

• User-1136466523 posted

Hi,

After you created the entities, stored procedures, and DAL, there are several practices in ASP.NET to build your application.

As you mentioned, of course you can use DataSource objects to bind with your data object. Here, you can create Typed dataset, you also can bind to your custom business object class. Generally, you can create a class library for your ASP.NET project. And in that library, all business methods can be exposed from those business class. So you can call those business methods in the code behind file of your aspx pages.

Here's an artile which shares some information on the architecture on UI designing, see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb288452.aspx

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:12 AM

All replies

• User803787494 posted

s, its very reliable to use. i'm just tryingto do this. thanks for info

Saturday, February 7, 2009 3:18 AM
  • User-1842988578 posted

I have an enterprise project that was created using CodeSmith to generate the:

1. Entities: the classes representing each table for the application database

2. Stored procedures: main CRUD operations

3. DAL: the classes that represents the main DAL operations for the Select, Insert, Update and Delete.

What is the best approach to develop the Web.UI interface, I was thinking in using the VS2005 DataSourceObjects, but I would have to decorate the DAL with the DataOjbect and DatObjectMethods.

Also it doesn't sound right to call the DAL from the Web.UI....

Is this a good proven approach or what would be the best and most flexible way to design this web application?

Thanks in advance.

Geor

Saturday, February 7, 2009 8:13 AM
  • User-1136466523 posted

Hi,

After you created the entities, stored procedures, and DAL, there are several practices in ASP.NET to build your application.

As you mentioned, of course you can use DataSource objects to bind with your data object. Here, you can create Typed dataset, you also can bind to your custom business object class. Generally, you can create a class library for your ASP.NET project. And in that library, all business methods can be exposed from those business class. So you can call those business methods in the code behind file of your aspx pages.

Here's an artile which shares some information on the architecture on UI designing, see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb288452.aspx

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:12 AM
  • User-525407762 posted

I think MS Pet shop is great enterprise level architecture example, one should consult it before implementing any other architecture, we have used in in many web applications.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:41 AM
  • User1677734741 posted

You could also consider using CSLA .NET. I have used it in my projects for more than 2 years, and I can now see the value when we moving from Legacy Adabas/Unix back-end to SAP.

Tarek. 

Saturday, November 27, 2010 2:26 AM