Behavior of Windows 8 store Apps in Win 8.1

Question

• How would be the general behavior of Windows 8 apps on win 8.1 after the Win 8.1 OS update is performed?

Need more information on this.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 6:46 AM

Answers

• Windows 8 apps will run fine on Windows 8.1.

You need to download the 8.1 version of a third-party app to upgrade it.  It is necessary to have multiple versions of apps if you want to support Windows 8 as well as Windows 8.1 and it uses 8.1-only APIs.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:06 PM

All replies

• The same as they did in windows 8. Nothing else really to say about it.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 12:11 PM
  • No but Win8 apps wont be compatible on Win8.1 right. If thats the case, I'm wondering how would we as app developers would ensure our app gets the right update on a OS migration.

I've also observed this..When i did a OS migration from Win8 to Win8.1i saw all of the windows app updates were listed. But my app was not listed in that. Would you please let me know what i should do to automatically list my app's next higher version as an update while upgrading from Win8 to Win8.1 ?

Thanks !!

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 1:22 PM
  • I don't understand what you mean by "Win8 apps wont be compatible on Win8.1" Test to be sure. 

If you didn't actually update your app to take advantage of 8.1 APIs, then it won't have an upgrade path.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 1:51 PM
  • My App is leveraging all Win 8.1 APIs still it does not have the upgrade option. 

My question is when upgrading from Win 8 to Win 8.1 i could see the updates available for all windows store apps(Camera,Video,Bing etc. etc.) though there is no notification of available updates for other 3rd party apps.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 5:51 AM
  • Windows 8 apps will run fine on Windows 8.1.

You need to download the 8.1 version of a third-party app to upgrade it.  It is necessary to have multiple versions of apps if you want to support Windows 8 as well as Windows 8.1 and it uses 8.1-only APIs.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:06 PM