none
No hostname appears in dashboard while booting windows VM RRS feed

• Question

• Sumit Sancheti @sumitsancheti via Twitter.

"@AzureSupport strange issue of no hostname appears in dashboard while booting windows VM. Tried multiple restart, change of Config. No Good."

Link to the Tweet: https://twitter.com/sumitsancheti/status/639818424420429824

Regards,

@AzureSupport

Friday, September 4, 2015 3:35 PM

Answers

• Guy,

Thanks for asking the support team to reopen the case.

I m working with a support engineer.

we performed multiple troubleshooting steps, but still the same.

<g class="gr_ gr_114 gr-alert gr_gramm Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="114" id="114">Finally</g> support engineer has taken the call to file for CRI.

"we are filing the CRI to the Product team to troubleshoot the issue and finding the root cause of the issue."

Hope this time, support team does provide a resolution.

I have spent lot of compute hours and energy towards this issue.

Regards, Dematri

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 1:52 AM

All replies

• Team,

Please read this forum - http://www.wikiguga.com/topic/61f14e0511b3061f1e851647ce73d12f

Quite similar to my issue.

However after round of discussion, still no one was able to suggest the solution.

Regards, Dematri

Friday, September 4, 2015 4:02 PM
  • Hi, few questions..

What config changes did you try? Have you tried resizing for example?

Have you had this problem since creating the VM, or did the VM start with its name correctly appearing in the portal?

What is the name? (just seeing if there's anything special about length or characters)?

What's the Windows OS version?

Do you see the same problem in both the old and the new portal (portal.azure.com)?

Thanks

Guy

Friday, September 4, 2015 5:55 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Guy,

To answer your questions: 

What config changes did you try? Have you tried resizing for example?

A) Changed RAM Speed

B) Change Core from A1 to A2

Have you had this problem since creating the VM, or did the VM start with its name correctly appearing in the portal?

VM used to work fine for a while with the name & <g class="gr_ gr_336 gr-alert gr_spell ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="336" id="336">ip</g> address appearing correctly.

What is the name? (just seeing if there's anything special about length or characters)?

Hostname: SSLABSSP2010

What's the Windows OS version?

Win 2008 R2 Datacenter

Do you see the same problem in both the old and the new portal (portal.azure.com)?

Yup, just tried 2 minutes back still the same even starting the VM from portal.azure.com

<g class="gr_ gr_514 gr-alert gr_gramm Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="514" id="514">Its</g> been 5 days for me.

I wonder how come Azure Support team has never <g class="gr_ gr_493 gr-alert gr_gramm Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="493" id="493">came</g> across such an issue?

Regards, Dematri

Monday, September 7, 2015 9:20 AM
  • Sumit,

I've asked the Support team to reopen the earlier case you had for this problem, they should be contacting you soon.

Thanks

Guy

Monday, September 7, 2015 7:26 PM
    Answerer
  • Dematri,

What do you mean by changed RAM speed?
    When you first created this VM was it from a Gallery image, or was it a VM you uploaded to Azure? If you uploaded it, maybe a silly question but it is 64-bit and not 32-bit right?
    As far as I know the support team has seen such a problem before, and typically a resize of the VM fixes it. However I'll check with them, and notify people who've helped with this problem in the forums before.

Thanks

Guy

Monday, September 7, 2015 7:27 PM
    Answerer
  • Guy,

Thanks for asking the support team to reopen the case.

I m working with a support engineer.

we performed multiple troubleshooting steps, but still the same.

<g class="gr_ gr_114 gr-alert gr_gramm Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="114" id="114">Finally</g> support engineer has taken the call to file for CRI.

"we are filing the CRI to the Product team to troubleshoot the issue and finding the root cause of the issue."

Hope this time, support team does provide a resolution.

I have spent lot of compute hours and energy towards this issue.

Regards, Dematri

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 1:52 AM