Configurung PHP RRS feed

• Question

• I had problem installing PHP.  When installed the older version it seemed to erase the latest version previously installed.  I had opted not to accept the default location.  Between installing the latest version and the earlier version with two blimps it had seemed to work.  Then when I loaded the older version I got two error messages one saying I was not pointing to a vaild PHP executable and then a file not found in the browser.  This bit is for your information for users of Expression Web 4 Step by Step where it is not made clear that as well as pointing to the executable in Application Options one also has to do this in Site Settings.  This in my case was different and pointed to the one that had been erased.
    Now for my question.  Are sessions supported because the two blimps mentioned related to setting the server date and a Session variable not being defined?
    Steve
    Friday, May 27, 2011 7:04 PM

Answers

• Blimps or blips, nobody knew what you meant or they might have attempted to answer you. If you need full web server capabilities go use the Web Platform installer to install IIS, PHP, MySQL, MS SQL and whatever else you need to test your site. Then in Expression Web under Site > Site Settings specifiy the newly installed & configured full version of IIS. The development server is not a full and complete web server but rather a light weight one that has a limited feature set. For instance it doesn't offer the option for Classic ASP and not all mail functions will work on it.

So my suggestion is to install the full version either of IIS as set out above or using one of the WAMP intalls of Apache/PHP/MySQL and they you will know exactly what the server supports and not be limited to what the development server offers.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 8:45 PM

All replies

• "blimps"?
    Friday, May 27, 2011 8:47 PM
  • Never heard of the term outside those definitions below: (even the first one I've not really heard of)

(1) "any elderly pompous reactionary ultranationalistic person"

(2) "small nonrigid airship used for observation or as a barrage balloon"

Source: (http://www.webstersdictionaryencyclopedia.com/Bl/Blimp-Definition/Blimp-definitionofBlimp.php)

:-))

Andrew M

http://www.murraywebs.com

"Nothing spoils numbers faster than arithmetic!"
    -- Peppermint Patty (Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz)
    Friday, May 27, 2011 11:31 PM
  • Yup, and I was trying hard to figure out they relate to PHP...  couldn't come up with anything. :)

Friday, May 27, 2011 11:46 PM
  • up, and I was trying hard to figure out they relate to PHP...  couldn't come up with anything. :)

Could he have meant 'blips'? Does that make any more sense?

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 2:20 AM
  • Seems perfectly clear to me. He installed the latest version and the earlier version by using two small, nonrigid airships.

What did you expect him to use? A matched set of 737s?  Preposterous.

"If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse." Henry Ford
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 3:49 AM
  • Where is this thread going?
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 4:38 AM
  • I made one mistake yes I did mean blips and not blimps but surely one of you could have answered the questions raised becuase you knew what I meant.
    Steve
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 8:55 AM
  • Nope, sorry, it still means nothing to me. I'm sure that's true for just about everyone here. Notice that Nancy asked if you might have meant "blip" and if that made any more sense. She didn't say that it made any sense to her. You're going to have to be more descriptive in what you are doing, and what is happening. If nobody understands the term you are using, give more detail, in plain English. Someone should be able to answer the question once we understand what that question is.

Jim

Saturday, May 28, 2011 5:16 PM
  • Forget the first bit.  Does Expression Web Server support Sessions?
    Steve
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 8:02 PM
  • It would be a pretty poor WEB server if it didn't support sessions.
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 8:24 PM
  • I don't know if it does, or doesn't.  Of course, the development server isn't a full fledged server, so who knows?

How about just trying it?

Adding:

Well, I just did, in a lot less time that it would take to wait for an answer.

Yes, it supports sessions.

Saturday, May 28, 2011 8:37 PM
  • Blimps or blips, nobody knew what you meant or they might have attempted to answer you. If you need full web server capabilities go use the Web Platform installer to install IIS, PHP, MySQL, MS SQL and whatever else you need to test your site. Then in Expression Web under Site > Site Settings specifiy the newly installed & configured full version of IIS. The development server is not a full and complete web server but rather a light weight one that has a limited feature set. For instance it doesn't offer the option for Classic ASP and not all mail functions will work on it.

So my suggestion is to install the full version either of IIS as set out above or using one of the WAMP intalls of Apache/PHP/MySQL and they you will know exactly what the server supports and not be limited to what the development server offers.

For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 8:45 PM
  • Seems perfectly clear to me. He installed the latest version and the earlier version by using two small, nonrigid airships.

What did you expect him to use? A matched set of 737s?  Preposterous.

heeheeheehee! Good one, Bill!

Nancy Ward
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:28 PM
  • I made one mistake yes I did mean blips and not blimps but surely one of you could have answered the questions raised becuase you knew what I meant.

Sorry, Steve, but I couldn't answer it even if my guess turned out right . . . I just took a wild guess you meant blips, but other than that, I'm a complete newbie and am just now getting into the actual EW4 program. I really didn't mean to make light of your efforts.

Nancy Ward
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:31 PM
  • Its just that after you've worked into the small hours trying to figure out new software and installing PHP (three times), you are likely to get your words confused.

All that first part was about was to remind people that there are two places one may need to set the path to PHP, the Application one and the site one.  When things went wrong (I had a blip) I forgot to change the one in the site settings so things did not work because the site setting was pointing to the faulty installation.  I was just trying to be helpful.

Whether Expression Web Server supports sessions I have yet to test.  One person seems to doubt it and the other says it does.  In any case I suspect PHP will need to be configured for it.  However, I can cope without, 

Must go there's a blimp approaching!

Steve
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:19 PM
  • Steve,

I smiled when I read your last post. I think we've all been working too long and messing up because of being tired. At least you have a couple of approaches, at least one of which should work for you in the future.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:38 PM