SQL Backup to Cool access tier? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

Is it possible to backup SQL databases to blob storage in the cool storage?  

We currently backup to blob storage without any issues, but we are being asked to move the data from hot to cool to save costs.  The cloud team have created a new storage account but it is of the wrong "Kind" and they say it's not possible to create one in cool storage of Kind=Storage, the one they created is Kind=BlobStorage. 

The backup fails when using the cool storage container with this error: 

Example from Azure portal where we can backup to blob and where we can't 

Thanks

Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:27 PM

All replies

• If you are referring to SQL server database backup to Blob Storage Account is not supported in SQL Server 2014 because page blob is not supported in Blob Storage Account. If you are using SQL Server 2016, backup to URL with SAS Key will backup to block blob. It works well with both Blob Storage Account (either hot or cold) and General-Purpose Storage Account.

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

• Edited by vikranth s Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:55 PM
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:55 PM
  • Sorry , its not possible to change to hot storage once it created.

you can take backup of your data to another resources and re-create with cold storage.

Please Mark as Answer if my post works for you or Vote as Helpful if it helps you. Kapil Singh

Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:58 PM

you can take backup of your data to another resources and re-create with cold storage.

Please Mark as Answer if my post works for you or Vote as Helpful if it helps you. Kapil Singh

I want to use cold storage instead of hot.  Also, I would like to migrate the data from hot to cold (without downloading it).  Is that possible? 
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 1:23 PM
  • If you are referring to SQL server database backup to Blob Storage Account is not supported in SQL Server 2014 because page blob is not supported in Blob Storage Account. If you are using SQL Server 2016, backup to URL with SAS Key will backup to block blob. It works well with both Blob Storage Account (either hot or cold) and General-Purpose Storage Account.

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Hi, 

I am currently backing up to blob storage in SQL 2014, it's just that at present the container is in hot/warm storage when in fact I would like to store in a cold storage account.

Thursday, September 14, 2017 1:25 PM

I want to use cold storage instead of hot.  Also, I would like to migrate the data from hot to cold (without downloading it).  Is that possible? 

From microsft online docs i found that.

Changing the storage tier from cool to hot incurs a charge equal to reading all the data existing in the storage account for every transition. On the other hand, changing the storage tier from hot to cool is free of cost.

Follow these steps to change the access tier -

Change the storage tier of a Blob storage account using the Azure portal

1. Sign in to the Azure portal.

2. To navigate to your storage account, select All Resources, then select your storage account.

3. In the Settings blade, click Configuration to view and/or change the account configuration.

4. Select the right storage tier for your needs: Set the Access tier to either Cool or Hot..

5. Click Save at the top of the blade.

For more reference please check this link -

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/blobs/storage-blob-storage-tiers#faqs

Thursday, September 14, 2017 1:40 PM
  • "Changing the storage tier from cool to hot" 

I'm trying to change from hot to cool

Thursday, September 14, 2017 2:43 PM
  • If you are using blob storage account, you can change an access tire from hot to cool or cool to hot at any time.

Sunday, September 17, 2017 12:10 PM