New to the HealthVault -Unable to produce redirection to a common page RRS feed

• Question

• Goal:
    Allow users registered within our application, to store values in the HealthVault (using our application), whether they have an account in the HealthVault or not.

Background:
    The application has its own custom-made database. The application allows registered users to store some interesting values in that database. We want to present the users of our application with the additional alternative to use the HealthVault.

Wish list:
    - Users with HealthVault accounts will be presented with a button to copy values to the HealthVault. After the user stores her interesting values in the application's database, the application will present that user a button to allow copying those values to the HealthVault.

- Users with no account in the HealthVault will be presented with a link to sign up for a HealthVault account. Once the user created the account, he or she will be allowed to login to the HealthVault (using our application) and to copy any interesting value, just stored in our application's database, to the HealthVault.

Preconditions:
    The .aspx page that will copy the values to the HealthVault, won't be the same used to store the values in the application's database. Once the user clicks the button to copy to the HealthVault, the application will take the values enterted by that user and redirect to another page, where the actual update of the HealthVault's record will occur.

Why the mentioned precondition?
    Because, as said before, there will be users without HealthVault accounts. We don't want to present the HealthVault's login page to those users any time they log in.

Problem:
    Not able to produce the results I want: Once the users, who are logged in our application, log in to the HealthVault and copy their values, the page where the HealthVault's record is updated should run, update the HealthVault's record, and return to a common page. This common page is common for any user, whether they have an account with the HealthVault or not.

I'm sure this is a very simple problem to resolve -for you, the experts with the HealthVault ;)-, but I've not been able to resolve it. Additionally, I have not found any example in the SDK that helps me with those scenarios. 

I'll appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks very much in advance for your attention.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 8:57 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the detailed post.  Unfortunately, this all sounds like normal HealthVault scenarios, so I'm actually not certain exactly where a problem or unexpected behavior is occurring.  Your application can redirect the user to whichever page necessary while they are in your app, so I'm not clear on the specific issue.

Could you describe the specific behavior, in order, that you are currently seeing, and then describe what you would expect or are trying to accomplish?  A list of pages, with user actions/steps between pages, would be helpful.  I think that's partially included above, but I'm not 100% clear yet.

If you are doing a normal HealthVault integration using online access, when your app tries to access the user's HealthVault record, the HealthServicePage logic will automatically send the user to HealthVault where they can sign in if they are an existing user, or create an account if they are a new user, and they'll be directed back to your Action URL target afterwards.  Your Action URL redirect page can handle the target query string parameter and redirect the user anywhere you want at that point.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:16 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the detailed post.  Unfortunately, this all sounds like normal HealthVault scenarios, so I'm actually not certain exactly where a problem or unexpected behavior is occurring.  Your application can redirect the user to whichever page necessary while they are in your app, so I'm not clear on the specific issue.

Could you describe the specific behavior, in order, that you are currently seeing, and then describe what you would expect or are trying to accomplish?  A list of pages, with user actions/steps between pages, would be helpful.  I think that's partially included above, but I'm not 100% clear yet.

If you are doing a normal HealthVault integration using online access, when your app tries to access the user's HealthVault record, the HealthServicePage logic will automatically send the user to HealthVault where they can sign in if they are an existing user, or create an account if they are a new user, and they'll be directed back to your Action URL target afterwards.  Your Action URL redirect page can handle the target query string parameter and redirect the user anywhere you want at that point.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Thanks very much for your attention, Lowell.

Before giving you any more details, and since you say that the mentioned situations sound like normal HealthVault scenarios, I will redo a little bit of my code taking into consideration the explanation you give within the last paragraph of your response. 

Best Regards
    Ralph Martinez
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 5:35 PM