none
Getting Errors When Setting Up Target Computer in Visual Studio 2015

Question

• I am getting several errors when setting up a target computer.  The errors I am seeing in the log are:

[09:12:27:737]: Copying file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\redist\1033\vcredist_X64.exe" to the target machine failed. The file could not be found.
    Task result status updated: Fail

[09:12:28:297]: [Installing .NET Framework (possible reboot)] Command Line:
    %SystemDrive%\DriverTest\Setup\dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe /q /norestart /log %SystemDrive%\DriverTest\Logs\DotNetInstall.log
    Result file "%SystemDrive%\DriverTest\Logs\DotNetInstall*.log" could not be retrieved from the target machine. Error: An error occurred on the target machine while retrieving a file.
    Error code: 3
    Error message: Unable to open file.
    Result file "%SystemDrive%\DriverTest\Logs\DotNetInstall*.html" could not be retrieved from the target machine. Error: An error occurred on the target machine while retrieving a file.
    Error code: 3
    Error message: Unable to open file.

The errors are numerous but each seem to reference not being able to find files on the target machine.

These are the steps I am following:
    Project > Properties
    Under Configuration Properties I am selecting Debugging, then Remote Computer Name I select Configure.  I then select Add New Device, enter the name of the target computer under Network host name, and click Next two times.  At this point I get the errors in the Configuration Progress window with a link to the log file.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 2:50 PM

Answers

• Hi merlinusambrosius,

Thanks for your response and the detailed steps.

According to your description, you steps is try deploying your KMDF driver project to a target machine. Please create a default KMDF project without any custom code to check whether it related to your custom code or the remote machine.

And do you have changed your target machine to confirm whether it is related to the target machine or not.

This forum is discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

I think your problem is more related to Windows Driver project development, I suggest you post your problem to Windows Driver forum for a better help.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, February 29, 2016 3:23 AM

All replies

• Hi merlinusambrosius,

What project type do you create? I create a Windows Forms project with Visual Studio Enterprise Update 1 and then try remote debug it from Project -> Properties, I just get an text box which used to input remote machine name. Please tell me how do you Add New Device from the properties windows?

According to the error message, it seems caused by the lack of files on remote machine. Please check the vcredist_X64.exe file, whether it exist on the target machine. If not, please copy it manually to the target machine then try debug again.

You also can change another computer to check whether this problem related to the remote machine.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, February 26, 2016 7:16 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.  The file is on the target machine.  This is a KMDF driver project.  These are the steps I am following:

Project > Properties
    Under Configuration Properties I am selecting Debugging, then Remote Computer Name I select Configure.  I then select Add New Device, enter the name of the target computer under Network host name, and click Next two times. 

Friday, February 26, 2016 3:03 PM
  • Hi merlinusambrosius,

Thanks for your response and the detailed steps.

According to your description, you steps is try deploying your KMDF driver project to a target machine. Please create a default KMDF project without any custom code to check whether it related to your custom code or the remote machine.

And do you have changed your target machine to confirm whether it is related to the target machine or not.

This forum is discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

I think your problem is more related to Windows Driver project development, I suggest you post your problem to Windows Driver forum for a better help.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, February 29, 2016 3:23 AM