Regarding Zoom in and Zoom out in WPF RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Could anyone pls tel me how to implement zoom in and zoom out using WPF controls.
    what should be my approach to tat.

Also I wanted to know, is there any control similar to the .NET IDE PropertyWindow.

Regards
    Sandeep
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 7:28 AM

Answers

• Hi,

There are a view ways to implement 'zooming' in WPF, the easiest of which is to use a ScaleTransform. This allows you to scale the height and or width of an object, giving the appearance of zooming in.

Here's a quick example knocked up in XamlPad:

<Page   
      xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"   
      xmlns:sys="clr-namespace:System;assembly=mscorlib"   
      xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml">  
      <Grid> 
        <Grid.ColumnDefinitions> 
          <ColumnDefinition Width="Auto" /> 
          <ColumnDefinition /> 
        </Grid.ColumnDefinitions> 

<Slider Minimum="1" Maximum="100" x:Name="sldZoom" Orientation="Vertical" /> 

<ScrollViewer Grid.Column="1" HorizontalScrollBarVisibility="Visible">  
          <Grid> 
            <Grid.LayoutTransform> 
              <ScaleTransform ScaleX="{Binding ElementName=sldZoom, Path=Value}" ScaleY="{Binding ElementName=sldZoom, Path=Value}" /> 
            </Grid.LayoutTransform> 

<Button Content="Come closer..." Height="24" Width="90" /> 
          </Grid> 
        </ScrollViewer> 
      </Grid> 
    </Page> 

The value of the slider is bound to the X and Y scale factors of the ScaleTransform in the Canvas. By scaling both X and Y by the same amount you ensure that the aspect ratio of the item being scaled is maintained.

The Button has been placed in a Grid to show how you could combine your zooming with a ScrollViewer. A Canvas would be a better choice as the container for your zoom panel, but unfortunately because of the way a Canvas works, the effect of using the ScrollViewer would be lost.

You could very easily create a control that scales its content and allows for panning around etc.

For an IDE PropertyWindow control, take a look at http://www.codeplex.com/wpfpropertygrid
    • Marked as answer by SandepKU Thursday, October 23, 2008 4:24 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SandepKU Thursday, October 23, 2008 4:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by SandepKU Thursday, October 23, 2008 4:38 AM
    • Proposed as answer by SamNoble Friday, October 24, 2008 9:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Zhou - MSFT Tuesday, October 28, 2008 9:50 AM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 11:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There are a view ways to implement 'zooming' in WPF, the easiest of which is to use a ScaleTransform. This allows you to scale the height and or width of an object, giving the appearance of zooming in.

Here's a quick example knocked up in XamlPad:

<Page   
      xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"   
      xmlns:sys="clr-namespace:System;assembly=mscorlib"   
      xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml">  
      <Grid> 
        <Grid.ColumnDefinitions> 
          <ColumnDefinition Width="Auto" /> 
          <ColumnDefinition /> 
        </Grid.ColumnDefinitions> 

<Slider Minimum="1" Maximum="100" x:Name="sldZoom" Orientation="Vertical" /> 

<ScrollViewer Grid.Column="1" HorizontalScrollBarVisibility="Visible">  
          <Grid> 
            <Grid.LayoutTransform> 
              <ScaleTransform ScaleX="{Binding ElementName=sldZoom, Path=Value}" ScaleY="{Binding ElementName=sldZoom, Path=Value}" /> 
            </Grid.LayoutTransform> 

<Button Content="Come closer..." Height="24" Width="90" /> 
          </Grid> 
        </ScrollViewer> 
      </Grid> 
    </Page> 

The value of the slider is bound to the X and Y scale factors of the ScaleTransform in the Canvas. By scaling both X and Y by the same amount you ensure that the aspect ratio of the item being scaled is maintained.

The Button has been placed in a Grid to show how you could combine your zooming with a ScrollViewer. A Canvas would be a better choice as the container for your zoom panel, but unfortunately because of the way a Canvas works, the effect of using the ScrollViewer would be lost.

You could very easily create a control that scales its content and allows for panning around etc.

For an IDE PropertyWindow control, take a look at http://www.codeplex.com/wpfpropertygrid
    • Marked as answer by SandepKU Thursday, October 23, 2008 4:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by SandepKU Thursday, October 23, 2008 4:38 AM
    • Proposed as answer by SamNoble Friday, October 24, 2008 9:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Zhou - MSFT Tuesday, October 28, 2008 9:50 AM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 11:34 AM
  • Hi Sam,

Thanks a lot ...

Regarding PropertyGridWindow, I wanted to know whether the same look and feel as of .NET 2.0 can be achieved using existing controls.

Please guide.

Thanks in advance.
    Regards
    Sandeep

Thursday, October 23, 2008 4:24 AM
  • Hi Sandeep,

Out of the box, WPF doesn't provide support for a PropertyGrid control, but you should be able to style the property grid I linked to on codeplex to give what you are looking for.

There is an alternative offered by Mindscape which is not free but has a default style which matches what you are looking for. Check out the screenshots page of their website.

Cheers,

Sam.

Friday, October 24, 2008 9:46 AM
  • When I set the ScaleX or ScaleY values, instead of zooming in, it rotates the panel, how do I zoom out, how do I minimize an area instead of enlarging it?
    Monday, January 25, 2010 12:44 PM
  • Oh, it was simple -
    1 and down zooms in, it's percentage; 0 collapsed, .5 = 50%, 4 = 400% etc.

Thanks a lot.
    Shimmy
    Monday, January 25, 2010 12:50 PM