none
Questions on Elevation Service RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have problems using the elevation service.
    I can't determine if the problem comes from a misunderstanding of the feature on my part or simply a design choice of the service.

I display a map of the oceans with a Pin in the water, I want the pin to move on the water and get blocked by the coasts.
    The pin is moving using an Animation module, written by Ricky Brundritt: Bring your maps to life

I am working on a modified version of this module to validate that every steps of the animation is in the water by calling only once, the Elevation Service but it always returns me '50' !!

I have built a JSFiddle to demonstrate that : JSFiddle
    In this JSFiddle, I am loading a short series of coordinates and I build the URL.
    Clicking on a radio buttons, one can choose from the SeaLevel or List API or even Google Maps...

I have removed my key from the sample but with a valid key inserted in the javascript, you can test the URL or modify it and click on the button to get the values returned by the service. The call to Google Maps doesn't work in this sample but the URL that gets generated works in a browser and returns data to looks valid to me.

I would need help to find how the Bing Services can give me values that will tell me how deep is the water, I don't like to compare but the Google Maps service return negative numbers in this scenario.  Does this data exists in Bing or is there a workaround or a plan to include them ?

Thanks for any help,
    Claude

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 9:55 AM

Answers

• The elevation service is for elevations on land only and has no valid data over water.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by Claude Vernier Wednesday, February 4, 2015 5:34 PM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015 4:30 PM

All replies

• The elevation service is for elevations on land only and has no valid data over water.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by Claude Vernier Wednesday, February 4, 2015 5:34 PM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015 4:30 PM
  • Ooh!  So sad..  Thank you for the answer, no plans for the futur ?

Best regards,

Claude

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 5:34 PM