Win8 locking up/freezing every 10 seconds

Question

• Hey All,

I'm noticing that when plugged into the network, Win8 is freezing up roughly every 10 seconds, then after a couple of seconds, it's OK again.

I've tried reinstalling, and installed all updates. This is even happening during the setup phase (enter a computer name etc).

This Toshiba P5 laptop (old) ran Win7 quite well.

Cheers

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• I would suggest you report this using the feedback tool.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Friday, September 16, 2011 12:38 AM
  • Have you updated drivers for your system?

Since most manufacturer's don't have drivers for the Windows Developer Preview, I suggest you download the most current drivers for Windows 7 and install in Compatibility Mode.

For the driver/drivers you downloaded use the compatibility troubleshooter to install them to see if that resolves the problem.
    You can do this by:

·         Enter the Start screen

·         Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section

·         Select Search

·         Type Compatibility

·         Click Settings in the right column

·         Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

·         Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver.

Let us know if this helps.  

Marilyn
    Friday, September 23, 2011 12:34 AM
  • Same thing here. Toshiba laptop, freezes every 10 seconds for 4 seconds, and just started today because I plugged an ethernet cable into my laptop. If I use wifi, I'm fine so my solution is just to remain wireless.

It's an intel gigabit 82566MM chip causing my problem. The current version on the Intel website is the same version that's already installed.

Friday, January 20, 2012 12:58 AM
  • Run ProcessExplorer and look if you have high DPC/Interrupts when the PC freezes.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Friday, January 20, 2012 12:19 PM
  • It could be due to driver issue that when you plug in, then it when it try to stablish connection it will hang.

I suggest install latest ethernet cable driver for your laptop using compatibility mode and normal mode, take a look at:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/troubleshoot-compatibility-issues-in-windows-8-developer-preview.aspx

Friday, January 20, 2012 12:36 PM