none
Table borders, who wins? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Quick question.  I have a cell in the middle of a table with no right or left border being drawn.  Here is the table properties it is inheriting from:

<w:tblPrEx>
        <w:tblBorders>
            <w:top w:val="single" w:sz="4" w:space="0" w:color="808080" w:themeColor="background1" w:themeShade="80"/>
            <w:left w:val="single" w:sz="4" w:space="0" w:color="808080" w:themeColor="background1" w:themeShade="80"/>
            <w:bottom w:val="single" w:sz="4" w:space="0" w:color="808080" w:themeColor="background1" w:themeShade="80"/>
            <w:right w:val="single" w:sz="4" w:space="0" w:color="808080" w:themeColor="background1" w:themeShade="80"/>
            <w:insideH w:val="none" w:sz="0" w:space="0" w:color="auto"/>
            <w:insideV w:val="none" w:sz="0" w:space="0" w:color="auto"/>
        </w:tblBorders>
    </w:tblPrEx>

The left and right borders are set to single of size 4.  However insideV is set to none which is why I assume it is not drawing the border.  Does insideH and insideV take precedence over left and right at all times except on the edge of tables?

Thanks,

Connor

Thursday, June 15, 2017 8:44 PM

Answers

• For the community, we've discussed and the example in the original forum post was only the tblBorders block in which the “left” and “right” refer only to the outer edges of the table. In the context of tcBorders, the definitions for cell borders, “left” and “right” refer to the left and right borders of the cell which could override the tblBorders’ insideH and insideV values. After reviewing the full document, there are no such overrides from tcBorders and so the "nil" values for insideH/V stand. 

Tom

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 5:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Connor,

Thank you for contacting the Microsoft Open Protocols support forum.  We have received the post and someone from the team will respond after further review.

Thanks,

Nathan Manis

Thursday, June 15, 2017 9:40 PM
  • Hi Connor, 

I will look into this for you. I'd be interested to see the full document in question. Specifically, tcBorders and exceptions will come into play per the conflict resolution algorithm in 29500-1 17.4.66, 17.4.38 and 17.4.39.  There are also implementation notes on this in [MS-OI29500] for each of the previously mentioned sections. See 2.1.168, 2.1.149, 2.1.150 respectively. 

Otherwise, can you provide the document and I'll take a look? You can send it to dochelp@microsoft.com referencing the URL for this thread and my name. Or if you have a cloud share link and want to post it here, that's also fine.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo 
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications Support

Thursday, June 15, 2017 10:49 PM
  • Excellent, thank you.  I went ahead and just sent an email to the address provided.

Connor

Friday, June 16, 2017 3:21 PM
  • Thanks Connor, I got the file and will get back to you.

Tom

Friday, June 16, 2017 5:15 PM
  • For the community, we've discussed and the example in the original forum post was only the tblBorders block in which the “left” and “right” refer only to the outer edges of the table. In the context of tcBorders, the definitions for cell borders, “left” and “right” refer to the left and right borders of the cell which could override the tblBorders’ insideH and insideV values. After reviewing the full document, there are no such overrides from tcBorders and so the "nil" values for insideH/V stand. 

Tom

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 5:19 PM