none
Use of BizTalk Adapter Pack (stand-alone) RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi everyone,

Have you ever used the Microsoft BizTalk Server Adapter Pack Stand-alone (without BizTalk)? I am considering the use of this pack to communicate with back-end oracle systems from my .NET application to the minimize the time and effort required for development.

Thanks,

Yousef

nonstopbiztalk.blogspot.com

Sunday, November 30, 2008 10:03 AM

Answers

• The adapter uses ODP.NET underneath, so I'm guessing that as long as ODP.NET has no issues communicating with databases on different OSes (which it shouldn't), then you should be fine.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 7:58 AM

All replies

• Yes, you can use the BizTalk Adapter Pack without BizTalk.

In your case, since you're connecting to an Oracle Database at the backend - what are the advantages you see of using the Adapter Pack versus directly using ADO.NET (using ODP.NET or System.Data.OracleClient in the .NET Framework)?

Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:52 PM
  • Well, there are several reasons. First, cut the time and effort needed to develop. Second, implement a solution that conforms to the principles of SOA. Third, buy a reliable component that is already tested and available as blug-n-play. What do you think?

Sunday, November 30, 2008 3:08 PM
  •  

Anyone please! Reply to this thread... I need more information on the use of BizTalk Adapter Pack - Stand-alone....

Thanks!

Yousef

Monday, December 1, 2008 3:18 PM
  • I thought your question was answered (can the Adapter Pack be used without BizTalk - Answer=Yes)? Whether it works for you in your scenario would well, depend on your exact scenario. Note that the Adapters can be used as any other WCF binding, and that the adapters are session-less. So as long as you just want to make SOA-ish calls from your client, and you don't need the adapter to maintain state for you, you should be fine.

Monday, December 1, 2008 3:29 PM
  •  

What about using this adapter to integrate with Oracle DBs that are on non-Windows systems spread over a couple of remote locations. The scenario is as the following:

I have the main application server at my side (Windows System) and other business partners to communicate with over HTTP. I need to integrate my solution with these partners, all of which have Oracle DBs on non-Windows Systems. I need to build some business process that spans my entity and the other business partners.

Thanks a million!

Yousef

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 8:09 AM
  • The adapter uses ODP.NET underneath, so I'm guessing that as long as ODP.NET has no issues communicating with databases on different OSes (which it shouldn't), then you should be fine.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 7:58 AM