none
PerfView: unable to see my Classic events RRS feed

• General discussion

• So, first of all, I'm aware that this is not specific to the .NET CLR, but really I'm not sure of a better place to put this since it deals with PerfView and PerfView is closely tied to .NET.

I'm in a situation where we're starting to instrument a system with ETW events for benchmarking, analysis, etc but since we're just at the start we're figuring out the best way to do it. It is a legacy system (ie. all the code is still maintained, but a heap of it could do with a refactor/rewrite/update, which we're slowly attempting to work through), and a current requirement (hopefully for not too much longer though, a couple of years perhaps) is support for Win XP Embedded Standard. Our understanding is that for C/C++ apps, Win XP doesn't support manifested ETW events from user applications, so we're trying to start with a smaller set of Classic events in the most important parts, which hopefully we can start expanding slowly, and convert all the events to manifested after we can drop Win XP support.

Which brings me to the problem: PerfView doesn't seem to see these classic events. What I get is a list of providers which contains the providers (rather event GUID & opcode) that the events were raised with, but when I select them and refresh in PerfView, there appears to be no events present at all. I've also tried viewing it with ETWTraceEventSource from the TraceEvent Nuget package for .NET 4.0 (ie. just outputting basic information for all the loaded events and I get the same lack of event information (expected as I'm given to believe that PerfView is built on top of TraceEvent). I've verified that I'm calling the C/C++ TraceEvent function correctly and that it is returning success.

Also, interestingly enough, my version of Windows Performance Analyzer (version 6.3.9600.16384) cannot see any events inside the ETL file either, but a colleague's version of WPA (version 6.2.9200.16384) *can* see events.

I've tried capturing with PerfView (PerfView and WPA 6.3 failed to see events), and I've tried capturing with logman (PerfView and WPA 6.3 fails, but WPA 6.2 succeeds).

Is PerfView supposed to be able to see Classic/non-manifest events? I thought it was just a generic tool, and it didn't matter where the events came from?

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 1:04 AM

All replies

• Hi NaimKingston,

Thank you for your post. As you said, this is not a .NET/CLR question. I will change the type of this thread as Discussion. Anyone who have a similar experience will give you help.

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 6:08 AM
  • Thanks.

Is there another forum section that would be better to post this question in?

Thursday, June 2, 2016 12:47 AM