none
Azure VM SQL Offer: sql2019-ws2019-byol Not allowing to be installed. RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried creating a VM from the Azure Portal and from Powershell and both get the same error.

The following list of images referenced from the deployment template are not found: Publisher: microsoftsqlserver, Offer: sql2019-ws2019-byol, Sku: standard, Version: 15.0.200609.

If I change the offer": "sql2019-ws2019-byol", to "sql2019-ws2019"  All works fine. 

So I gave a new 2019 Server (Hybrid Benefit) and SQL 2019, but no BYOL. 

Can we fix the BYOL Image?  Can I convert the non-BYOL Image to a BYOL SQL Image?  I can blow it away once the other is fixed, but if it not fixed for a while I need to get going...

Output of commands below...

Thanks,

Scott<-

I believe the only part of the the template and parameters JSON files that is important is the Image Reference:

Command Line uses the following imageReference:

"imageReference": {
                            "publisher": "microsoftsqlserver",
                            "offer": "sql2019-ws2019-byol",
                            "sku": "standard",
                            "version": "15.0.200609"
                        },

Portal uses the following imageReferences: 

"imageReference": {
                            "publisher": "microsoftsqlserver",
                            "offer": "sql2019-ws2019-byol",
                            "sku": "standard",
                          "version": "latest" //Command line didn't like this
                        },

I can query the Image and it finds it:

PS /Users/scooter133/Downloads/template-2> Get-AzVMImage -Location "westus" -PublisherName "microsoftsqlserver" -offer sql2019-ws2019-byol -sku standard -version 15.0.200609

Id               : /Subscriptions/<subscription>/Providers/Microsoft.Compute/Locations/westus/Publishers/microsoftsqlserver/ArtifactTypes/VMImage/Offers/sql2019-ws2019-byol/Skus/standard/Versions/15.0.200609

Location         : westus

PublisherName    : microsoftsqlserver

Offer            : sql2019-ws2019-byol

Skus             : standard

Version          : 15.0.200609

FilterExpression : 

Name             : 15.0.200609

HyperVGeneration : V1

OSDiskImage      : {

"operatingSystem": "Windows"

}

PurchasePlan     : null

DataDiskImages   : []

Creating the new VM via Command Line. 

New-AzResourceGroupDeployment: 10:11:43 AM - Error: Code=InvalidTemplateDeployment; Message=The template deployment 'ASVR-SQL2019' is not valid according to the validation procedure. The tracking id is '4463012a-8e0d-40a3-ad07-881350632eb8'. See inner errors for details.

New-AzResourceGroupDeployment: 10:11:43 AM - Error: Code=InvalidParameter; Message=The following list of images referenced from the deployment template are not found: Publisher: microsoftsqlserver, Offer: sql2019-ws2019-byol, Sku: standard, Version: 15.0.200609. Please refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/cli-ps-findimage for instructions on finding available images.

New-AzResourceGroupDeployment: The deployment validation failed

• Edited by Scooter1332 Monday, June 29, 2020 5:37 PM removed private Data
    Monday, June 29, 2020 5:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Scooter1332,

Please refer to MS document How to use Azure PowerShell to provision SQL Server on Azure Virtual Machines. 

>> Can we fix the BYOL Image?  

Yes. BYOL images require an Enterprise Agreement with Software Assurance. A SQL Server VM using BYOL only charges for the cost of running the VM, not for SQL Server licensing, given that you have already acquired licenses and Software Assurance through a Volume Licensing program. Please refer to MS document Bring your own license (BYOL).

>> Can I convert the non-BYOL Image to a BYOL SQL Image?

We change the licensing model from pay-per-usage to bring your own license (BYOL) and back. For more information, see How to change the licensing model for a SQL Server VM.

Your issue is related to Azure, if you have more issue, I suggest you create a new thread in Azure forums (azure-sql-virtual-machines forums or azure-virtual-machines forums). People there will help you more effectively.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 7:39 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

>> Please refer to MS document How to use Azure PowerShell to provision SQL Server on Azure Virtual Machines.

I can create a VM with Powershell no issues if I remove the -byol from the Offer name. Changing the Image reference to:

imageReference": { "publisher": "microsoftsqlserver", "offer": "sql2019-ws2019", "sku": "standard", "version": "15.0.200609" },

Created a VM just fine.

>>We change the licensing model from pay-per-usage to bring your own license (BYOL) and back. For more information, see How to change the licensing model for a SQL Server VM.

Great I will look into that.

>> Your issue is related to Azure, if you have more issue, I suggest you create a new thread in Azure forums (azure-sql-virtual-machines forums or azure-virtual-machines forums). People there will help you more effectively.

I did look for some Azure related SQL, guess It was late. )-;

Thank you!

Scott<-

• Edited by Scooter1332 Tuesday, June 30, 2020 2:33 PM formatting
    Tuesday, June 30, 2020 2:33 PM
  • This didn't fix the use of the BYOL Offer Image, though I was able to change the Licensing to DR which is what I needed.

How to change the licensing model for a SQL Server VM

Thank you!

Scott<-

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 2:50 PM
  • Please post Azure questions in the Azure forum:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/products/azure?product=all

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 3:34 PM
  • Please post Azure questions in the Azure forum:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/products/azure?product=all

Can Microsoft have one Community platform with all of the forums in one place?  there is docs. social. technet. community.   Why are they not all in one place?  Finding the Right Sub group is hard enough let alone finding the Community forums to post on...

Scott<-

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 5:50 PM