none
Editable regions in MS Word RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to make a document in Word (a consent form) and I would like to make it read-only, but there are a few areas that I would like to be editable so that the person filling out the form can do it in Word. But the text that I have written must be read-only and not available to be changed. How can I do this?
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 11:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    You could protect the document. This will make the entire document read-only. Now, select the portions of the form which you want as editable and mark it as exceptions.

If you are using Word 2007, under the "Review tab", click on Protect Document -> On the "Restrict Formatting and Editions"  pane on the right side, check "Allow only this type of editing in the document" and pick "No Changes(Read only)". This will make the entire document protected. Now, individually select the portions of the form that you want editable and select "Everyone" under the "Exceptions(optional)" in the Restrict Formatting and Editions"  pane on the right side.
    There is a flipside to this: the editable regions are highlighted - you can manually unselect "Highlight the regions I can edit" option using the Restrict Formatting and Editions"  pane on the right side -> Word will not "Remember" this setting so you have to uncheck it everytime unless you write a macro to do so:
    Sub AutoOpen()
    ActiveDocument.Windows(1).View.ShadeEditableRanges= False
    End Sub
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:40 PM
  • Hi,
    I'm wondering what's your user scenario? what's the data source of your documents (is it a server side solution?), and what's the type of the editable information, also the purpose of the documents, are they archived, email or print? thanks:)
    Friday, May 15, 2009 2:26 AM
  • hi first of all i make the word read only, now i want to make only 2nd column editable in word. how can i do it using vb.net code
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:58 AM