Back up RRS feed

• General discussion

• HI.

My computer is running slow so I'm going to format it, the trouble is I have partitioned my hard drive with Vista and 7, is there an easier more effective way of backing up my C: Vista and D: 7 drives than just copying and pasting them on to my external hard drive.

Thanks for any help.

Mel

Sunday, February 13, 2011 7:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Mel,

Unfortunately you can not just copy your both drives to other device. If your computer is currently run very slow because of problem with the harddisk you have, you need to backup the whole disk using one of your Vista or 7, and restore it back to a fresh disk. Follow these step:

1. You need a fresh disk to be a new drive C: and D: You can install it before backup or after backup. This disk is used to restore the coming backup, say NEW DISK and insert (install) to your computer

2. Enough space can be on a network, other internal device or external device - say SPARE SPACE

3. Backup the  both drive C: and and D: to the SPARE SPACE . It is better use your win 7 using System Backup/Restore

4. Restore from  SPARE SPACE to NEW DISK using win 7, again use System Backup/Restore

5. Uninstall your old disk, and use the NEW DISK as a system disk, and..... that's it.

The saviest way:

1. Need two other spare disks, say NEW DISK and SPARE DISK

2. Insert the SPARE DISK to your computer and backup drive C: and D: to the SPARE DISK using win 7 System Backup/Restore

3. Remove the old disk (contain drive C: and D) from your computer

4. Insert the NEW DISK to your computer (!!!!!!! becareful of NEW DISK and SPARE Disk during restore - not to restore to SPARE DISK !!!!!!!)

5. Restore from SPARE DISK using your WIN 7 DVD, and choose recovery (not install a new installation). It will guide you to restore from SPARE DISK

6. Remove the SPARE DISK and restart your fresh Vista and Win 7.

Good luck 

nen

Sunday, February 13, 2011 1:14 PM
  • Thank you very much Nen didn't realise it would be that complicated but not out of my range of expertise.

your advice is much appreciated

Mel

Sunday, February 13, 2011 1:29 PM