none
windows 7 home edition and sql server express edition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, I got a new laptop with windows 7 premium 64bit and tried to install the full visual studio express with sql 2008. The VS installed but I cant see how to access teh sql 2008 management studio. There are no icons on the program files for sql server. Have i missed something? This is the link i used

http://www.microsoft.com/express/Web/

I did manage to access the database from VS via the db explorer pane. But i could not create a new db and it only allowed me to see the master db. Is this normal?

Also when i went to the add remove programs to see if sql server 2008 had installed. It was there on the list.

Many thanks

ali

Saturday, April 10, 2010 11:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi ali_T,

The thing is you have to download sql server managemant sudio express too. It wan't come with sql server express edition, Also you can "Web Platform installer - www.microsoft.com/web/Downloads/platform.aspx " to get the sql management studio, or visit "express - www.microsoft.com/exPress/ " site...

• Proposed as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, April 13, 2010 5:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:21 AM
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:35 AM
  • Many thanks for this you are right its not to do with windows7  premium. I just needed to run WPI again and select sql management studio and also had to run sp1 again (as it notified me to do so).

But my issue now is that I selected to install IIS from the WPI but looking at the control panel and the program menu I cant find how to access this? Can I have IIS on windows Premium via WPI or is this not allowed?

Also is it possible to have the DSN manager applet so i can create DSNs on my pc like with XP professional. These applets are normally in the Administrative tools in the control panel. But Admin tools doesnt exist in my win 7 premium.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

ali

Monday, April 12, 2010 9:17 AM
  • Hi Ali,

Thank you for your post.

If you want to install IIS on Windows 7, you can refer to the following tutorial:
    http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/28/install-iis-7-on-windows-vista-and-windows-7/

BTW, this forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. For IIS or DSN issue, you could post your thread on IIS forums or Windows 7 forums. You will get more useful help there. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Proposed as answer by Rukshan Chathura Tuesday, April 13, 2010 4:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by ali_T Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:10 AM
    Monday, April 12, 2010 10:56 AM