Power Pivot Table Fields Missing from Excel RRS feed

• Question

• When creating a Tabular model in Excel, I only see the 'PivotTable Fields' not the 'Power Pivot Table Fields'

I'm using Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 and have the Power Pivot Ad-Ons activated in the COM Ad-Ins.

Steps to Recreate:

1) Create Model by adding tables in Power Pivot

2) From the Home Ribbon select Pivot Table > Pivot Table > New Worksheet

This creates a new sheet with the Pivot Table, which does have access to all the measures and dimensions that were created, however, its just a 'traditional' Pivot Table (not a Power Pivot Table).  For example, I can not right click and add a new measure from the Field Table List. 

Below is a snapshot of the Tabular Model in use:

Friday, July 4, 2014 4:22 AM

Answers

• When creating a Tabular model in Excel, I only see the 'PivotTable Fields' not the 'Power Pivot Table Fields'

Hello,

Just to clarify: "Power Pivot" is the multidimensional in-Memory engine, which provides the data; it's the "backend".

"PivotTable" is the tool in Excel to work with data from serveral types of data source, like here "Power Pivot".

So from my point of view everything looks fine in your screenshot, no issue at all.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Hi Hans558,

I can understand the confusion here. Olaf is right in that there isn't actually an issue. In Excel 2013 there is a single PivotTable Field pane regardless of whether the data is coming from a Power Pivot model or not.

To add a calculated field to a table you can either use the 'Calculated Fields' option that can be seen on the Power Pivot tab in your screenshot, or you can add the calculated field to the desired table using the 'Calculation Area' that can be seen the below a table when you are viewing it in the Power Pivot window's 'Grid' view.

Take a look at the areas highlighted in blue in the 2 screenshots below.

The 'Calculated Fields' option in the Power Pivot tab on the Ribbon...

A Power Pivot table's 'Calculation Area' in the Power Pivot window...

Regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark a post that answers your question as an answer...If a post doesn't answer your question but you've found it helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful :)

Website: nimblelearn.com, Blog: nimblelearn.com/blog, Twitter: @nimblelearn

• Marked as answer by Tyler Becker Monday, July 7, 2014 5:36 PM
    Sunday, July 6, 2014 2:27 PM

All replies

Hello,

Just to clarify: "Power Pivot" is the multidimensional in-Memory engine, which provides the data; it's the "backend".

"PivotTable" is the tool in Excel to work with data from serveral types of data source, like here "Power Pivot".

So from my point of view everything looks fine in your screenshot, no issue at all.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Michael Amadi Sunday, July 6, 2014 2:27 PM
    Friday, July 4, 2014 6:32 AM

Hello,

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Hi Hans558,

I can understand the confusion here. Olaf is right in that there isn't actually an issue. In Excel 2013 there is a single PivotTable Field pane regardless of whether the data is coming from a Power Pivot model or not.

To add a calculated field to a table you can either use the 'Calculated Fields' option that can be seen on the Power Pivot tab in your screenshot, or you can add the calculated field to the desired table using the 'Calculation Area' that can be seen the below a table when you are viewing it in the Power Pivot window's 'Grid' view.

Take a look at the areas highlighted in blue in the 2 screenshots below.

The 'Calculated Fields' option in the Power Pivot tab on the Ribbon...

A Power Pivot table's 'Calculation Area' in the Power Pivot window...

Regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark a post that answers your question as an answer...If a post doesn't answer your question but you've found it helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful :)

Website: nimblelearn.com, Blog: nimblelearn.com/blog, Twitter: @nimblelearn

• Marked as answer by Tyler Becker Monday, July 7, 2014 5:36 PM
    Sunday, July 6, 2014 2:27 PM
  • Thanks for your response.  Looks like the 'Calculated Fields' icon was the answer.  In previous versions you could right click within the Pivot Table Fields section to create a measure.  Not sure why that functionality was changed, but the two methods identified above will work.

Appreciate the responses.

Monday, July 7, 2014 5:40 PM