none
Ethernet file transfer performance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm working with iMx6 WEC7 BSP from Adeneo and I'm finding some problem in ethernet performance.

Trasfering a simple file from internal company nework (10/100MB) to WEC7 filesystem (on RAM) it take about 36sec for file size of 30MB, so near 8Mb/s and this seem to be very low (in the same contest with my development PC it takes less than 1 second).

I tried it also with an x86 system (with Intel Bay Trail) and the performance are similar (31sec for 30MB -> 9/10 Mb/s).

My question is: I'm committing a big blunder or there some OS limitations in ethernet performance?

Thursday, July 30, 2015 12:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

in general, the CE network performance is a bit lower than the Desktop. However, I'm having some problems with your numbers. If your PC truly is on a 10/100 MB/s network, it would need about 3sec to transfer 30MB (raw transfer rate is 12.5 MB/s on a 100 MB/s network node [100 Mbit / 8 = 12.5 Mbyte]).

In order to discuss this, can I ask you for a more scientific approach by giving me the exact environmental conditions, and use software that can measure the transfer rate with a millisecond accuracy?

Our internal numbers for CE are a bit higher, but that also depends on what you really do. Is your imx6 BSP configured for hive-based registry? Then you probably transfer to flash memory as the root is on the storage device. What processor speed is configured? What imx6 hardware are you using?

Claus Rohde

Adeneo Embedded

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 10:19 PM