none
Fatal error on .NET framework 4 Repair/Uninstall =>Canot update with any patch! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am not a developper. I just need help on updatng .NET through Windows Update.
    (Win7 Ultimate x64, with lat updates)

I get this when trying Windows Update:

Installation status: Failed
         Error details: Code 66A
         Update type: Important

In fact, following some recommendation I red on the net, I tried a Repair on the .NET Framework 4 program, but I got a fatal error on run of some .MSI file.

I also tried to uninstall/Reinstall it, but get the same fatal error on Uninstall (Cannot uninstall)

Due to this error, I cannot update .NET Framwork 4. What can I do to solve this issue?

Many thanks in advance.

------------

Here is the detail of the log file:

Content of Extended Setup_20120402_205518309-MSI_netfx_Extended_x64.msi.txt:

d
    • Edited by chibi bell Monday, April 2, 2012 12:42 PM
    Monday, April 2, 2012 12:35 PM

Answers

• Please use this tool to remove .NET Framework 4.0 from your system:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx 

Once it is removed, reinstall as follows:

Please follow these instructions exactly:

1. Download a fresh copy of the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=17718

2. Before running the installer, apply irarab's fix as follows:

"I went to "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET" there is a directory called "assembly".

I looked in the directory and found some subdirectories with lots of old dot net 4 files. I renamed the directory assembly2 and tried to install Dot Net 4 and it worked!!!!

(You can't delete the assembly directory unless you take ownership of it but you can rename it.)"

Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

The %temp% directory is a reference to the Temp folder associated with the current user. To clear it, do the following:

Sign on to your system with the Administrator user account you will use to run the installer. Click the Start Orb and type %temp% in the search box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want. Click on the Temp folder to open it in Windows Explorer, then delete the entire contents.

3. Run the standalone installer from step 1 As Administrator.

Note: Just using an administrator account is NOT enough. To activate full privileges, you must right-click the installer, then select Run as administrator.

If the install fails, provide complete install logs as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E0DA314F-6216-4A18-BC6B-7D29CF83AF20&displaylang=e&displaylang=en

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Monday, April 2, 2012 12:47 PM

All replies

• Please use this tool to remove .NET Framework 4.0 from your system:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx 

Once it is removed, reinstall as follows:

Please follow these instructions exactly:

1. Download a fresh copy of the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=17718

2. Before running the installer, apply irarab's fix as follows:

"I went to "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET" there is a directory called "assembly".

I looked in the directory and found some subdirectories with lots of old dot net 4 files. I renamed the directory assembly2 and tried to install Dot Net 4 and it worked!!!!

(You can't delete the assembly directory unless you take ownership of it but you can rename it.)"

Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

The %temp% directory is a reference to the Temp folder associated with the current user. To clear it, do the following:

Sign on to your system with the Administrator user account you will use to run the installer. Click the Start Orb and type %temp% in the search box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want. Click on the Temp folder to open it in Windows Explorer, then delete the entire contents.

3. Run the standalone installer from step 1 As Administrator.

Note: Just using an administrator account is NOT enough. To activate full privileges, you must right-click the installer, then select Run as administrator.

If the install fails, provide complete install logs as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E0DA314F-6216-4A18-BC6B-7D29CF83AF20&displaylang=e&displaylang=en

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Monday, April 2, 2012 12:47 PM
  • Hi chibi bell,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Please try as pvdg42 says to solve your issue. 0x80070643 is a common issue. It can not show us the root cause of your error.

As for now, a clean uninstall and reinstall will be a better choice.

If you still failed, please collect that installation logs for us to analyse.

If you have any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 8:10 AM
  • Its a SOURCEMGMT issue.

Update is trying to install itself from the last used source location. I can see error message

Note 1:2203 : 2: "C:\38da2e66c1......"

SOURCEMGMT : "Source is invalid due to missing/inaccessible package".

You need to remove the old SOURCEMGMT key along with the parent hive  i.e. C:\38da2e66c1......" for the update KB2446781  from the registry keys...

Please do not delete the SOURCEMGMT key for the other pacakges..

We carefull before deleting the registry keys.. I would recommend you to rename it instead of deletion....

• Proposed as answer by Keshav Jain Thursday, April 5, 2012 1:37 AM
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 1:36 AM
  • Hello,

I agree with pvdg42 on this. Please uninstall the frame work and reinstall it using the link provided. It will solve your issue.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:02 AM
  • Hi chibi,

Have you fixed your issue by re-install. According to our policy, I will close this case. I'll work with you if you  are back.

Best regards, 

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:09 AM