Restore Data to a Different Instance -Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have restored my Production TFS 2012 data to the TFS test 2012 instance. I have followed below article to get this done

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms252516(v=vs.100).aspx

Completed all the steps which are mentioned in this article.

After this when i try to remove or add users from project or collection i am getting below error.

Please give me suggestions to resolve this error.

Rajesh

Thursday, September 26, 2013 3:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Rajesh

Thanks for your reply.

There’s many known issues in TFS 2012 Update 1 version, I suggest you upgrade your two TFS 2012 Update 1 both to TFS 2012 Update 3, then move collections from Product to Test Server again.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, September 27, 2013 8:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Rajesh,  

Thanks for your post.

First, please keep your two TFS 2012 Server are the same version.

Your current account is TFS Admin user in Test TFS 2012 Server?

This issue only happened in that project or collection which moved from Product TFS 2012?

In Test TFS 2012 Serer, create a new collection and try to add user in this new collection using that same account, can add user correctly?

If you have already configured the Test TFS 2012 Server on another hardware, and you want only move the collections from current Product TFS 2012 to the Test TFS 2012 Server, you can try the following steps(your current Product TFS 2012 Server still working): 

1        On current Product TFS 2012 Server, launch TFS Admin Console>>under Team Project Collections tab, Detach the collection. Detach process is essential and should happen successful.

2        Backup the Detached database(the collection database on your current Product TFS 2012 Server).

3        Restore the database to the Test TFS 2012 Server’s SQL instance.(After restored successfully, ensure the collection database displayed in Test TFS 2012 Server’s SQL instance correctly)

4        On Test TFS 2012 Server, launch the TFS Admin Console>>under Team Project Collections tab, Attach the collection. 

For that Manage group membership issue, you can try the solution in this similar post: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/1cc63bc6-5f92-4e59-84a1-adf6dd6dc718/after-upgrade-to-tfs-2012-cannot-manage-permissions-as-a-server-admin-on-upgraded-projects.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, September 27, 2013 6:00 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.

We have same versions of TFS 2012 Update 1 in Production and Test.

The problem is on collection level. I am able modify permissions on project level.

The service account is part of collection administrators.

And also when i click on work tab in Team Web Access, i am getting below error.

Inline image 1
    Thanks,
    Rajesh

Rajesh

Friday, September 27, 2013 7:37 AM
  • Hi Rajesh

Thanks for your reply.

There’s many known issues in TFS 2012 Update 1 version, I suggest you upgrade your two TFS 2012 Update 1 both to TFS 2012 Update 3, then move collections from Product to Test Server again.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Friday, September 27, 2013 8:01 AM