Expression Design 3.0? RRS feed

• Question

• MIX09 has come and gone. Where was talk about Silverlight 3.0, Blend 3.0, Expression Web 3.0, but not one mention about Expression Design. I'm wondering why the silence. Is Microsoft not advancing Design any more? Are they going to abandon it? Right Expression Design is the number one app for creating proper design assets for Blend. There are terrible issues in the workflow from Design to Blend. Are these going to be ignored?
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:14 PM

Answers

• Hey all,

I just got permission to release one bit of news - there will be an Expression Design 3. But that's all I can tell you so far.

Will
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 8:10 PM

All replies

• Hi rbiggs,

I wasn't able to atted MIX09 so I can't answer your questions. I do know that there was at least one session on Design and there's probably a video online covering the session. I'll see if I can find the video. Wish I could be of more help.

Annie
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:39 PM
  • Annie I see blend 3 preview is available for download but no word of design 3 I have found
    greetings to you and Fred
    Friday, March 27, 2009 6:08 PM
  • Hey all,

I just got permission to release one bit of news - there will be an Expression Design 3. But that's all I can tell you so far.

Will
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 8:10 PM
  • Thank you Will nice to hear it
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 2:23 PM
  • Design 3.0 of course will be included.  Though I have always got the feeling that Design was always the ugly stepchild out of the whole Suite.  I've used Expression Design purly for XAML based design work, and that's about it.  Every time Microsoft talks about the next version of Silverlight or EW.  Design never comes up, take MIX for example not even worth mentioning...

I would love it to take on more of a role as a Fireworks competor, but the simple alignment tools and the limited amount of filters are compelling enought to replace it.  Hopefully we'll find out more as 3.0 approches down the road.

- Chad

Monday, April 6, 2009 4:02 PM
  • E3, EGD, Acrylic, ED, ED2 have often been quoted (misquoted?) as being Photoshop or Illustrator killer apps and now Fireworks?  

Has the scale of impact been reduced somewhat?

I don't think ED with its present oomph could claim to be any app killer at all.

Useful = yes.

Treading on the territory of other apps = no.

Maybe it really is time to let ED blossom into the singularly great application it could be namely (in my opinion) a super vector-bitmap app that does XAML on the side?
    Monday, April 6, 2009 9:44 PM
  • Expression Design needs to know what it is, that's for sure. Expr 3.3 was a wonderful piece of vector loveliness. I use it in half of my teaching at college and the students adore it.

ED is less focused, less playful. Although playability is a strange thing to try and put into an art package I think it's absolutely essential. If you don't want to be in a tool creating something then you will come back to it less. Exp 3.3 > Ed2 > Illustrator in terms of my likes when creating vector pictures (and Pixelmator > Photoshop at the moment for bitmaps).

It's not a Photoshop killer, but that's a strange claim for anyone to make as they're such different beasts. It is almost an Illustrator killer, certainly the package I prefer to use) but not really there in terms of installed tools. I really hope that ED3 recaptures the magic though... It'd be nice to see it get the acclaim it's long (almost) deserved.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 7:07 PM
  • Hmm interesting points.  Playfulness = yes!  Of course!  Not only should it do stuff well it should feel well when using it.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:29 PM
  • Hi
    I use expression design every day to make a few bucks and have for a long time now.
    I enjoy my time in Design because it is productive.
    I would have even more fun if there was a Expresion Blend Mode, in which the only tools that are lite up are those that dirrectly and correcty exportable to blend.

Late

Mike Greenway
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 10:00 PM