Using System.Threading from one Metro Style page using C++

Question

• Hi All,

I had just created one C# simple code that uses System.Threading on one MetroStyle application, and I would like to port it to C++, but it seems that it is not a so simple task. Could anybody give me some adivices?

On the C# I just created on simple application and at the MainPage I created one button named "TheadStartButton". And this is my MainPage C# code:

using System;

using System.Collections.Generic;

using System.Linq;

using System.Threading.Tasks;

using Windows.Foundation;

using Windows.UI.Xaml;

using Windows.UI.Xaml.Controls;

using Windows.UI.Xaml.Data;

namespace MetroStyle.SlimTests

{

partial class MainPage

{

public MainPage()

{

InitializeComponent();

}

private void TheadStartButton_Click(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)

{

System.Threading.Thread MyThread = new System.Threading.Thread(new System.Threading.ThreadStart(ThreadMethod));

System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(2000);

MyThread.Start();

}

void ThreadMethod()

{

Windows.UI.Popups.MessageDialog BoxOk = new Windows.UI.Popups.MessageDialog("Thread rodando...");

BoxOk.ShowAsync().Start();

//MyTextBlock.Text = "Limpo...";

}

}

public class ThreadInfo

{

public string Message { get; set; }

public ThreadInfo()

{

}

}

}

When I try to do the same on the C++, I got a lot of compilation errors. This is the first one:

Error 1 error C3766: 'System::Threading::Thread' must provide an implementation for the interface method 'void System::Runtime::InteropServices::_Thread::GetTypeInfoCount(unsigned int %)' c:\...\MyPage.xaml.cpp 166 1 MyPage

This is the piece of code migrated to C++:

void MyApp::Button_Click(Platform::Object^ sender, Windows::UI::Xaml::RoutedEventArgs^ e)

{

System::Threading::Thread MyThread = new System::Threading::Thread(new System::Threading::ThreadStart(ThreadMethod));

System::Threading::Thread::Sleep(2000);

MyThread->Start();

}

void ThreadMethod()

{

Windows::UI::Popups::MessageDialog BoxOk = new Windows::UI::Popups::MessageDialog("Teste...");

BoxOk->ShowAsync()->Start();

ProductDoneTextBlock->Text = "Limpo...";

}

Monday, January 2, 2012 2:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• The System.Threading namespace is a .Net framework API. Metro style apps using C++ are native code (do not use the .Net runtime), so you would need to use the Windows Runtime Threading API (Windows::System::Threading::ThreadPool). Raman discussed the threading options for C++ in an earlier thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-MY/winappswithnativecode/thread/e8949b86-19dd-4cf3-8e04-c19c739a7a3a

Thanks,

-David

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Thanks David, I was just confirming if it would be possible to use this API on C++ WinRT code as it was on C#, because we are encoutering some dificults to do the same using  Windows::System::Threading::ThreadPool.

Thanks a lot,

Leo.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 1:43 PM
  • Not a problem Leo. We're all learning together here. I appreciate the feedback as it let's us know where we need to improve. Windows::System::Threading::ThreadPool usage documentation is one of those areas at the moment. 

-David

Thursday, January 5, 2012 8:43 PM