Using Entity Framework in non-database application RRS feed

• Question

• Are you able to use the Entity Framework in a non-database application.  I am developing an application that stores it's data in a binary file similar to Microsooft Word or Excel,  are there benefits to using EF or is EF only useful for database applications?

Saturday, January 1, 2011 6:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Or could it be some confusion between LINQ and EF ? EF is more specifically the db to classes mapper. LINQ is the query language support so you could use LINQ to objects (rather than LINQ to Entities) depending on what kind of data are exposed by those binary files (i.e. if they expose queryable data). Try perhaps http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb397919.aspx for LINQ to Objects.

As always your own needs should drive your decision that is could it be simpler for YOU to create your queries (if you need to create queries) against those data using LINQ ?

Please always mark whatever response solved your issue so that the thread is properly marked as "Answered".
    • Proposed as answer by Alan_chen Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alan_chen Friday, January 14, 2011 1:08 AM
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 1:11 PM
  • Hi jfras2009,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side.  Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions? 

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know.   I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by jfras2009 Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:09 PM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:21 AM

All replies

• On 1/1/2011 1:11 PM, jfras2009 wrote:
    > Are you able to use the Entity Framework in a non-database application.
    > I am developing an application that stores it's data in a binary file
    > similar to Microsooft Word or Excel, are there benefits to using EF or
    > is EF only useful for database applications?
    >

database only......

Sunday, January 2, 2011 12:47 AM
  • Hi,

Or could it be some confusion between LINQ and EF ? EF is more specifically the db to classes mapper. LINQ is the query language support so you could use LINQ to objects (rather than LINQ to Entities) depending on what kind of data are exposed by those binary files (i.e. if they expose queryable data). Try perhaps http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb397919.aspx for LINQ to Objects.

As always your own needs should drive your decision that is could it be simpler for YOU to create your queries (if you need to create queries) against those data using LINQ ?

Please always mark whatever response solved your issue so that the thread is properly marked as "Answered".
    • Proposed as answer by Alan_chen Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alan_chen Friday, January 14, 2011 1:08 AM
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 1:11 PM
  • Hi jfras2009,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side.  Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions? 

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know.   I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by jfras2009 Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:09 PM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:21 AM