none
How do I get the milestone date to be the earliest start date of the construction disciplines? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MSP 2007 Standard, no Project Server, no PWA.

I originally posted this to the Project Standard and Professional General Questions and Answers Forum.

I am making a template schedule for Planning, Engineering, and Construction projects.  Management wants a "Milestones" section at the bottom of the schedule - no problem.  For the "Start of Construction Milestone", I need the milestone to fall on the earliest of construction start dates for several disciplines.  To explain, there are five disciplines of construction - Civil & Structural, Mechanical, Piping, Electrical, and Instrumentation & Automation.  I have a start-to-start link from each of the discipline start dates to "Start of Construction Milestone".  The problem is that the milstone date shows as the last of the start dates, rather than the first of the start dates.  All projects may not have all disciplines, or the construction may proceed in different order from project to project.

How do I get the milestone date to be the earliest start date of the construction disciplines?

Thanks for the help.

DLMcKirdy
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 4:53 PM

Answers

• Andrew helped me through my original post in the Project Standard and Professional General Questions and Answers Forum.

My problem is solved.

Thanks Andrew!

Doug

DLMcKirdy
    • Marked as answer by dlmckirdy Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:44 PM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:44 PM

All replies

• I believe this is a bug in the way that the dependencies are implemented so you may need a macro to calculate this date.

Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:04 PM
  • Thanks, Jack

Can anyone help me with a formula using dates to trigger the actual milestone date?  If not a formula, is there some simple vba code that can be used?  I recently received Rod Gill's book, but have not had time to work my way through it yet.

Thanks,

Doug

DLMcKirdy
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:07 PM
  • 2 X no code solutions provided in the other thread.  See if either of those
    work.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Andrew helped me through my original post in the Project Standard and Professional General Questions and Answers Forum.

My problem is solved.

Thanks Andrew!

Doug

DLMcKirdy
    • Marked as answer by dlmckirdy Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:44 PM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:44 PM