MF_MEDIA_ENGINE_ERR_SRC_NOT_SUPPORTED - 0xC004F011

Question

• Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to play a video using a custom IMediaSource. The nework stream I receive is encoded either in MPEG2 or H264 (not under my control).
    Here is how I create the MediaStreamSource:

var videoDescr = new VideoStreamDescriptor(VideoEncodingProperties.CreateMpeg2());_source = new MediaStreamSource(videoDescr);

But then MediaElement.MediaFailed event is then fired on play, with the following details:

MF_MEDIA_ENGINE_ERR_SRC_NOT_SUPPORTED : HRESULT - 0xC004F011

If I replace the CreateMpeg2 line with CreateH264 (and of course change the video Stream), it works.
    I could not find any information about the 0xC004F011 error code, does someone have any?

Also during my Internet search I read that MPEG2 decoders are not provided anymore with Windows 8.
    Does that mean that to be able to decode MPEG2 video stream on a Surface RT I'll have to provide my own decoder with my app?

Any information about MPEG2 and Windows Store would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Bruno

Sunday, August 3, 2014 9:02 AM

Answers

• Hi Bruno,

The error message indicates your media resource is not supported as you can see from MF_MEDIA_ENGINE_ERR. The error comes from the Media Foundation but not directly from Windows Store App.

And take a look at the documentation: Supported audio and video formats, if the decoder does not show on the page, then it means not supported.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by Bruno Knittel Monday, August 4, 2014 7:13 PM
    Monday, August 4, 2014 6:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Bruno,

The error message indicates your media resource is not supported as you can see from MF_MEDIA_ENGINE_ERR. The error comes from the Media Foundation but not directly from Windows Store App.

And take a look at the documentation: Supported audio and video formats, if the decoder does not show on the page, then it means not supported.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by Bruno Knittel Monday, August 4, 2014 7:13 PM
    Monday, August 4, 2014 6:40 AM
  • Thanks for the information, I was not able to find those pages.

I do have one more quesiton: if I install such a codec (e.g. ffmpeg) on my Windows 8 computer, is the Windows Media Foundation able to take advantage of it?

Many thanks in advance,

Bruno

Monday, August 4, 2014 7:13 PM