none
LightSwitch HTML End of Life? How long do we have until app death? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

As we all know MS has abandoned LightSwitch. I am saddened by this... more so due to the fact there is *nothing* else out there comparable to it. Power Apps, we are told, is the place to go... but in my case I require on-prem solutions. I am still looking for a new platform. But this is not my current concern.

What worries me, and my managers, are the LightSwitch HTML apps that we have developed so far. Specifically how long should we expect those apps to continue to function. I developed them in VS 2015 which has an end of support coming up in 2020. We have been feeling pretty safe up until then. After that... who knows.

I feel like the biggest danger comes from the web browsers. SQL servers, IIS servers... all those should continue to support what we have for years to come. But IE/Chrome/FireFox?

Anyone have any idea on this?

Jeremy

Thursday, February 21, 2019 6:16 PM

All replies

• Radzen.com is a pretty soft landing spot where many of us have ended up. Check it out if you haven't already...

Stephen

Thursday, February 21, 2019 8:15 PM
  • Just adding to Stephen's response that we have recently updated our Migrating from LightSwitch article. Indeed Radzen will not convert your existing application but there is a way to keep the existing database and generate some of the pages automatically from it. The user management (users, their passwords and roles) will remain the same.

Friday, March 29, 2019 11:31 AM