none
Table Storage Partitioning

Question

• Hello everyone,

Can I create partitions with Dates as Partition keys? Each day, we might have thousands of records logged from various modules. 

Though the dashboard is supposed to also show weekly/Monthly/Yearly logs, the most frequent use would be to the "DAILY" one.

So I'm thinking to create partitions based on Dates. But the only question is, this will end up creating 365 partitions per year. Will this harm the performance or Cost more in Azure?

Thanks!

Friday, January 8, 2016 9:32 AM

Answers

• If you have a partition per day that would even benefit performance if you use the daily one the most. This because all records for that day will be in the same partition.

For Table Storage pricing is based on storage capacity, so the number of TB you store, not based upon partitions.

Do have a look at this article, it shows a way of using dates as rows so you can also sort the records chronologically.

• Marked as answer by MSDev2015 Friday, January 8, 2016 12:35 PM
    Friday, January 8, 2016 10:29 AM
  • Hi,

The number of partitions will not harm your performance, in fact performance will improve by an appropiate design of your storage solution. I recommend this guide which explains in detail how to get the best performance from table storage and also describes a set of common patterns for table storage.

Hope this helps!

Edward

Friday, January 8, 2016 10:38 AM

All replies

• If you have a partition per day that would even benefit performance if you use the daily one the most. This because all records for that day will be in the same partition.

For Table Storage pricing is based on storage capacity, so the number of TB you store, not based upon partitions.

Do have a look at this article, it shows a way of using dates as rows so you can also sort the records chronologically.

Friday, January 8, 2016 10:29 AM
  • Hi,

The number of partitions will not harm your performance, in fact performance will improve by an appropiate design of your storage solution. I recommend this guide which explains in detail how to get the best performance from table storage and also describes a set of common patterns for table storage.

Hope this helps!

Edward

Friday, January 8, 2016 10:38 AM