compile web application source code RRS feed

• Question

• User1551708863 posted

I have to make changes to web files and code files of a web application deployed in iis 7 on a server. I have access to  the source code of the application but I have no idea how to compile it. Do I need to use msbuild script and create my custom project file or is there some other way?

Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:26 AM

Answers

• User-1454326058 posted

Hi naimadscttech,

I think, you should create the folder manually with the same name and add the files (E.g. .aspx pages) through the VS.

On the other hand, you also should check the dll files in the bin folder and add the references of those dlls.

Thanks

Best Regards  

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:48 PM

All replies

• User1873438307 posted

If the project type is website then you can change code/html on the fly. If the project is web application, you will need to change the code, compile, then upload the dlls

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 12:44 PM
  • User1551708863 posted

It is a web application. The problem is that I have the folder with all the web files, code files but there is no sln file. Without sln file how can open the project in vs to make changes and compile the code? i have got this folder by checking the Physical Path of the deployed web application in iis and copied from there.

thanks

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 1:08 PM
  • User1873438307 posted

If you are sure that the source is included, then just open the project from VS. It will handle the solution issue for you.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 2:41 PM
  • User71929859 posted

It is a web application. The problem is that I have the folder with all the web files, code files but there is no sln file. Without sln file how can open the project in vs to make changes and compile the code? i have got this folder by checking the Physical Path of the deployed web application in iis and copied from there.

Open visual studio. Go to File -> Open Web Site... Then select the folder from your File System.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:56 PM
  • User-1454326058 posted

Hi naimadscttech,

Is there the project file in it (.csproj), if so, you could open that web application by File=>Open=>Project/Solution=>select the project file

You also can use the MSBuild.exe tool to build a project, for more information, please refer to:

# MSBuild Command-Line Reference

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms164311.aspx

If there isn’t the project file, I think you could create a new solution, then add those files in it.

Thanks

Best Regards  

Thursday, February 6, 2014 1:45 AM
  • User1551708863 posted

Starain chen...  There is no project file. I have created a new empty solution in vs and I can add the folder as an existing web site but this is a web application. How would you add those file in and be able to compile then?

thanks

Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:38 AM
  • User1551708863 posted

smiling4ever I can only open the folder in vs if I open it as an existing website which is not going to help since this is a web application.

thanks

Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:43 AM
  • User-1454326058 posted

Hi naimadscttech,

I think, you should create the folder manually with the same name and add the files (E.g. .aspx pages) through the VS.

On the other hand, you also should check the dll files in the bin folder and add the references of those dlls.

Thanks

Best Regards  

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:48 PM