none
Avoiding USB enumeration RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever, I try to connect a usb device to my pc usb port it is getting enumerated all the time. I want it to get enumerated only first time and trying to avoid enumerate next time on wards. How can I do that ?

-Mrutyunjaya

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 7:15 AM

Answers

• This is how usb works. If you mean the device is treated as new install every time you plug it into a new port, this is by design as well. You can “fix” the latter problem by reporting a serial number so windows knows it is the same device.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 2:00 PM

All replies

• This is how usb works. If you mean the device is treated as new install every time you plug it into a new port, this is by design as well. You can “fix” the latter problem by reporting a serial number so windows knows it is the same device.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 2:00 PM
  • Thanks a lot for your reply. How can I fix this with serial number if you can give some idea on this then it would be very helpful.

-Mrutyunjaya

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 2:55 PM
  • The serial number is in the firmware for the device, it in the USB descriptor https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/ddi/content/usbspec/ns-usbspec-_usb_device_descriptor    A well made device will have a unique descriptor for each device manufactured.

Don Burn Windows Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 4:33 PM
  • How will I report to windows that it is same device even if it is different port.

What do I need to do when device plugged in to any port of the PC first time so that when I will plug into any different port of same PC, windows should know that it is same device.

-Mrutyunjaya

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 5:46 PM
  • That is the purpose of the serial number, so that two devices of the same type can be identified uniquely.   This has to be in the firmware of the device that reports back.

Don Burn Windows Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 6:02 PM
  • Thanks for your prompt reply. I am taking about same device in different port of a PC.

IF I will plug in same device in different port of a PC. installation should happen only in first time.

-mrutyunjaya 

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 6:18 PM
  • And to repeat what I and everyone else has said, if you report a serial number in the device firmware, you will get this exact behavior (install once) when you plugin the device into any of the ports on a USB host controller.

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 8:11 PM
  • If the device does not have the "serial number" in its firmware and you cannot add one, a different solution will be needed.

-- pa

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 11:15 PM