Virtual Users on a load test RRS feed

• Question

• I still can't understand clearly how load test works...From what I know, when load test runs a set of virtual users are used to simulate the webtests...now my question is, what if my webtest includes a login process, does the load test still create virtual users?

If not, then is it correct to say that if a webtest in a load test involves a login, then I should use data binding on my web test to simulate multiple users logging in...?

Another followup to this would be...assuming we have a 10 user load...does this mean that 10 users are using 1 PC or 10 users are using 10 PCs? I guess my problem here if 10 users are simulated using 1 PC, then how does load testing handle cookies? Coz I tried manually simulating 2 users logging in and browsing in my local PC...and there are times when information are displayed incorrectly...most of the times details of only one user is displayed even if a different user is logged in...

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 8:00 AM

Answers

• A virtual user is the user who is executing the test iteration.  So if your test involves a login process, the virtual user will login to your system.  The login process is not creating another user.  You can use databinding if you want each virtual user to simulate a specific set of users.  So if you have a database of user names and passwords, then you could bind this to the login process and then the virtual user would be simulating the users from the database.

As for the cookie handling, each test manages their own cookie collection.  The users may look as if they are coming from the same PC, but they each have their own set of cookies.  So you should not run into a problem with cookies.

Monday, October 30, 2006 2:03 PM

All replies

• A virtual user is the user who is executing the test iteration.  So if your test involves a login process, the virtual user will login to your system.  The login process is not creating another user.  You can use databinding if you want each virtual user to simulate a specific set of users.  So if you have a database of user names and passwords, then you could bind this to the login process and then the virtual user would be simulating the users from the database.

As for the cookie handling, each test manages their own cookie collection.  The users may look as if they are coming from the same PC, but they each have their own set of cookies.  So you should not run into a problem with cookies.

Monday, October 30, 2006 2:03 PM
  • Thanks!

This gave me some clarity...

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 10:01 AM
  • And what about authorization on ISA server ? Virtual user can't authorize because ISA server says "error 407 Authorization required". Values that are in "user" "password" properties are not used for ISA authorization. Request is from "Anonymous" user anyway
    Tuesday, November 21, 2006 12:11 PM
  • Hi,

How I can use databinding for each virtual user to simulate a specific set of users? With this, I can make each virtual user record data in my database, for example, for a load test with 2 virtuals users and 1 iteration I can expected that two data will records in my database?

Thanks.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:44 PM