Synchronizing Databases in a Peer-to-Peer Topology Using the Microsoft Sync Framework RRS feed

• General discussion

•  My name is Sean Kelley and I am a Program Manager for the Sync Framework team.  Microsoft Sync Framework is a comprehensive synchronization platform that enables collaboration and offline access for applications, services, and devices.  Microsoft Sync Services for ADO.NET is a part of Sync Framework. Modeled after the ADO.NET data access APIs, the Sync Services API provides an intuitive way to synchronize databases.  This walkthrough focuses on a collaboration scenario.  This is a scenario in which two or more databases can be synchronized peer-to-peer without having to go through a central hub. This kind of solution is useful when remote workers (such as on-site financial auditors) work as a group in a remote location. These workers must frequently share information among one another. However, because they do not have connectivity to the central database, they must share information through some kind of peer-to-peer network.

I am looking for feedback regarding the complexity of this walkthrough and where you think VS tooling might help.  Also, it would be interesting to hear back regarding real-world scenarios where you would find this useful.  Note that if you are interested in learning more about the Microsoft Sync Framework, please feel free to visit our MSDN portal below:

www.msdn.com/sync

Thanks and have fun!

Sean Kelley
    Program Manager
    Microsoft
    Monday, November 3, 2008 1:34 PM