Desiging .NET Application vs Using Sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Sharepoint 2007 as an intranet application. It's mainly used for tracking work items and collaboration.

Recently we also have couple of requests to create applications. The main criteria is:

1. Able to access remotely (Currently our sharepoint server is enabled for it)

2. The data entered in the application should be visible based on the person profile. That means only selective data should be visible for that person profile.

3. The application should send out emails fortnightly and also based on certain other criteria.

I am concerned that Share point alone cannot achieve the requested functionality and thinking of creating a .NET application (this application will use its own database) and create a Web application under share point (Is it feasible?) and link to that application.

Also is it possible to use Sharepoint workflow to create the second level of authentication?

At first level, our network authenticates the user logon. At second level I want to authenticate the user profile by asking additional questions.

The main concern is all the data is stored in lists format and not able to create relationship against these lists as you would normally do with a regular .NET application.

Appreciate your suggestions.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:38 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your post.

This is a quick note to let you know that we are performing research on this issue.

Thanks,

Pengyu Zhao

TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 2, 2011 11:54 AM
  • If I understand you correctly, what you are asking for is possible with SharePoint.

1 - Remote Access is possible, and as you indicate that your SharePoint site is setup for this, then you should be good to go.

2 - SharePoint can limit information based on security group/role assignments.

3 - Email Alerts may be able to do what you are asking, and if not a custom timer job can be created to help send emails.

As for authentication, assuming you have network logon completed, you could as an example use a custom Forms-based authentication to allow users access to the site based on any number of criteria you want.

So, from a high-level understanding, I think that SharePoint can certainly do what you are looking to do.

Patrick Cole - MSFT
    Friday, December 16, 2011 7:37 PM